• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old photo.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this photo from 8 years ago.
My first flintlock wing shot woodcock.
I'm still impressed with that shot today!
It burst from cover in front of me, turned away from me, continued away from me curling left to right.
flinchlock 003.jpg

Think I only have had one other with flint.
Good Times.

Nice shooting indeed; the only woodcock I’ve ever shot was in Ireland back in about 1978.
It was my first hunt there and I was using a double 12ga. the bird rose directly in front of me and was disappearing over a talk hedge when I fired…down it went, instant kill, but I can’t really claim marksmanship as the left lock work was faulty and both barrels went off at the same time.
As the gun was full choke both barrels it was a simple fix to fire the left barrel first.
My No 2 son has the gun now and has fixed the problem.

Wo now, I don't like all this super hero talk. It's probably closer to the truth it may of been a miracle!

Okie Dokie then...

"Blind hogs sometimes find acorns"

😂

I NEVER miss woodcock...

Because my response when I flush them while hunting other forest critters, is "Wow..., cool,..., there goes a woodcock". No chance I'm going to engage one. They are FAST, and I'm usually recovering from the jolt of adrenalin when the wing-beat-sound was heard.
(you never shoot at one you never miss one ;) )

LD

To be honest, European woodcock are much bigger than we have here in the states, thus much easier to hit. 🙄

Seriously though, what i found interesting watching hunting videos about about European woodcock was the open cover they are found in compared to what i hunt.

To be honest, European woodcock are much bigger than we have here in the states, thus much easier to hit. 🙄

Seriously though, what i found interesting watching hunting videos about about European woodcock was the open cover they are found in compared to what i hunt.
Mine, if I'm lucky enough to have some visit me are in thick woodland.
In the past I had access to some excellent woodcock habitat.
Mine are walked up by myself but many in the UK are driven, usually mixed in a pheasant drive. I prefere going alone now. One on one.

Here in CT. we get then in some thick new growth woods. As long as the ground remains wet enough with good leaf cover to provide them enough worms they come through. They are migratory though. And, are very habitat dependent. If a property is not managed to keep them coming back, it often doesn't take but a few years of growth and natural changes for them to abandon a place they used to frequent on their "flight."

I will try to get a picture of it, in our Fish & Game Club's office there is one that a club member shot many years ago and took to the taxidermist. For good reason, it's huge. Bigger than a roughed grouse.

Neat memory. Congrats. I once killed a quail with my Brown Bess after a modern shot gunny missed it.
My proudest shotgun day: 1840 - 50 Belgian 20 side by side muzzleloader. My two companions carrying Browning Citori over/under 12s. On the Red river in Oklahoma for quail. I limited before noon, they finally limited mid-afternoon. Took a nice stroll with them and their dog that afternoon. Dale

Last edited:
Back