• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Schutzen 3F thoughts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Scheutzen 2f and 3f both in flintlock .60 and .62 smoothbores and a .50 caliber percussion. In the .50 I use 60 grains of either one with a thin patched .490 round ball. There’s a little difference between the two but not enough to matter to me.

Since I used up all my Goex, Scheutzen is all I use.

Is that close enough?

I've used Scheutzen 3F and nothing wrong with it, though since I used it all up I'm just using Swiss now. It's probably completely anecdotal and subjective, and no way I can prove it, but I think the Swiss might be just a tad hotter and cleaner in my guns.

Believe it or not my green mountain 1:70
Twist will shoot a powerbelt over 80 grains of 3f Scheutzen just fine as well as a patched round ball over 70 grains. I agree with PathfinderNC being a cleaner powder as well 👍

60 grs Schuetzen 3F with .490" ball and .015" lubed patch in my Traditions 1:66 Kentucky rifle. I see no difference between Schuetzen or Goex other than schuetzen seems to leave slightly less fouling.

Who is using Schutzen 3F in the .50 cal flinters and what’s your winning formula for grains, patch and ball?
What’s shoot-zen best for you?

My flinter loves Goex but don’t have much and tough to get. Schutzen I have lots.
I’d say if your using Goex 3f I’d start with same grains of schutzen in 3f and you probably won’t find any difference between the 2 of them .

I've used Scheutzen 3F and nothing wrong with it, though since I used it all up I'm just using Swiss now. It's probably completely anecdotal and subjective, and no way I can prove it, but I think the Swiss might be just a tad hotter and cleaner in my guns.
I can't say hotter or not from my experience, but sure will go with cleaner on the Swiss.
Larry

I use it in 3f for the main and primer in all of my rifles. Zero misfires and only one hang fire, which was 100% on me. My flint loosened and only one tiny corner caught the frizzen. It still went boom, but slowly. Cleaning a rifle is cleaning a rifle. It all takes some time to get to my standards no matter what I use. My .50 likes 60 grains and my .54 likes 80 grains.

Back