• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old pic, but new post

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntertrapper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_0292.jpg

picture of my first blackpowder kill last year, hoe to do it again this year ifn i manage to get time off work and or being grounded.

Nice shot. Believe it or not they are good eating. When you skin them out there are little brown fatty balls under the arm pits and elsewhere. These are scent glands and need to be removed otherwise the meat can taste funny. Also, don't do what I did at your age. I shot a large woodchuck and cleaned it in my mother's kitchen sink. She was not too happy.

.50 caliber flintlock with a hollow pointed ...sabot :shocked2: i hvent gotten roundballs shot down yet because i dont have the time... just got a job a couple months ago but anyway...me and a center fire hunter friend saw him 2 or 3 times and couldnt get a shot till i went out alone and saw him stlked to within 40-50 yards dropped to a knee and put the lead through him, he went down the hole after afew seconds and i pulled him out by his rear feet and hit him in the head with my hatchet and carried him back to my uncles house happy as a kid on christmas

I did the same thing when I was a kid. At the age of 10 I was out hunting woodchucks and shot 3 in a stump field and while carrying them back to the farm, the thought came to mind as to how I could justify the killing. My grandparents loved cats and altogether had 8 or 9 and seeing they were borderline feral cats, I thought they'd be hungry for this "sumptuous meal". Wrong! They all huddled around the 3 carcasses and didn't know where to start so I got out the knife and did a partial gut and skin and lo and behold, they all dove in. That salved my conscience but taught a lesson that has never been forgotten.....There has to be a TRULY good reason to kill an animal, whether it be for eating, damage control, self defense or for monetary reasons. This year marks 67 years of hunting and all were greatly appreciated....Fred

thanks fellas and im only 17 but have been hunting primitivly(longbows, wooden arrows and lever guns and flinters for about 3 or 4 years now) and i was taught to give great respect when hunting and to utilize, the hide had been used as rawhide and i used it to wrap joints on a bamboo pack frame i made.

i always wonder why a kid my age never gets much credit for making a respectful kill, a few replys was all i got to a hard earned prize.

Well, I dunno the answer to that question. My hat is off to you - my only kill with a front stuff was a loudmouthed squirrel (headshot with a .50 - not much left up there to clean!) Ya done good Hunter!

huntertrapper said:
i always wonder why a kid my age never gets much credit for making a respectful kill, a few replys was all i got to a hard earned prize.
I don't always catch every post and don't remember seeing this one...congratulations on a good Flintlock accomplishment!

way to go!
We have marmote out here in CO and they be dang good eating in the fall with some great fat for rendering into oil.

thanks fellas this one i used the rawhide and the carcass went ot the yoddlers and fox and coons...it was hot and my mom didnt want the smelly thing in her new car... thats why i drive trucks.

Latest posts

Back