• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

older lyman gpr ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthom1898

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have found a lyman gpr percussion .50 cal. nos from about 4 years ago. $ 500 + tt&l. is this still in the good build years ? thanks.

A little pricey, even though it is "NOS". Just last year they were still available for the upper $300's.

I've heard the older ones were better than the newer ones.... at what timeframe did they degrade- if, indeed this is true??
Wes

A lot of internet chatter about this based on a few anecdotes. My newer Lyman's are great and so are those in the rack I have seen at Dixons Muzzleloading. Do not take everything you read as entirely accurate.....a lot of exaggeration at times.

Exactly, judge the gun, not opinions of those that have not looked at your actual gun.

Thanks, guys- sounds like good advice. Unfortunately, I do most of my shopping online due to lack of local availability of anything I'm interested in... so have to deal some with online guidance and generalities.
That's where 2nd- and 3rd and mor3 opinions are invaluable! :grin:
Wes

Dave K said:
Exactly, judge the gun, not opinions of those that have not looked at your actual gun.

That is the problem with the internet and buying. Buying sight unseen, is the problem in the last couple of years. Folks have bought from stores on the internet and have not been able to "inspect" a rifle until it arrives from the Brown truck and then they have to send it back.

Don't think posters are lying here about what they are receiving, they gain nothing in return by mis-representation of receipt of goods.

Unfortunately, buying local for B/P products is not an option any more. I insist on an inspection period, I would rather pay TOW more and have a good feeling on how things are going to go.

I agree 100%. Those who post of problems with their guns are undoubtedly sincere and we have no reason to think otherwise. Sometimes these things get blown all out of proportion though and give the impression that the problem is more widespread than it is. I like to examine guns up close and personal before I buy also, especially when considering a used firearm from one of the online auction sites where condition is everything. Hard as this may be to believe, some sellers will describe the gun's finish or condition of the bore as "great" when in fact it is not.

I've never seen a GPR for sale in Texas. Only used ones I've seen are on auction sites.

Hi,
There are often Lyman GPR rifles right here in the classified ads for $350-$400 in good to great shape with an inspection period, and often with accessories.
Hold tight and sit tight and you will find one.
Best regards
Fred

Get yourself a Lyman Great Plains Hawken kit. I have a 54 and it shoots better than I can, The kit is basically assemble sand and finish. No insetting of lock or other parts and they are about a hindered bucks cheaper than a finished rifle. U can leave it in the white and let the barrel get a patina of its own or U can get yurself a bottle of Laurel Mountain Forge cold browning solution and brown the barrel.
My percussion Hawken gives me minute of moose at 100 meters and it dont care what I feed it. U can order one from Track of the Wolf.

Back