• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One for the freezer!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
I got to my 2nd choice favorite hunting spot just before legal shooting time this morning. Just in time to spook a bunch of deer out of there. 3 does were snortin' and more were running away. :( Figgered I'd blew it, but I found a bush and sat down anyway.

Only took about a half-hour until I started seeing deer again. A big doe stood about 125 yards away for over an hour. Several more passed thru without offering good shots. I was ready to shoot the first deer I could 'cause the freezer is bare.

There was a squirrel rummagin' around behind a bush every now and then. Psyched me out 3 or 4 times thinkin' there was a deer coming. :haha: Just before 9:00 I was listening to them dang squirrel noises again when I looked over and saw him sitting at the top of a small tree. :hmm: It's amazing how them squirrels can sound just like a.... DEER! That squirrel is up the tree!

There's a deer 15 yards to my left behind some brush! Boiler room is showing thru a hole. Twisted kinda funny but I can make this shot easy. BOOM! Deer just stands there looking confused. 2 others I never saw run off. Deer I shot turns around and walks off down the hill. :confused:

A few seconds later I heard a bunch of thrashing around from the direction she went. Whew! She's down. I give her a half-hour just to be sure. Then I get up to go have a look.

Oh manure! More deer coming. Could be the biggun??? Sit tight... Nope. 2 button bucks walk by me at 5 yards.

Every time I start to go look for the small doe I shot, more deer show up. For the next hour and a half I have deer all around me. Very cool morning to be in the woods! :thumbsup: I saw a 6 pointer chasing a doe around but Mr. Big never showed up. Finally the deer movement died down and I went and collected my prize.

Hit her just back of the ribs, 15 yards, at a quartering away angle. The ball nicked the stomach :( :barf: , took out the liver and heart and nicked one lung then exited. She went about 40 yards after the shot.
Load was 75 grains of 2F Goex, .020 Ox-yoke pre-lubed patch, a .492 round ball hand cast by my buddy Grey Whiskers, and a Remington cap.

She's just a dinky doe. The portions may be small, but they'll be tender and tasty. :thumbsup: And I had a great day in the woods. :grin: Still have another tag good for Sat and Sun to look for the biggun. And 2 more tags that kick in in 2 weeks. :thumbsup:

HPIM0712.jpg

Forget about calling it dinky...you got out there, did everything right, and took it with a muzzleloader...pretty solid accomplishment I'd say...congratulations !
:hatsoff:

NICE JOB. IT LOOKS LIKE A TROPHY TO ME, BESIDES THE SMALLER THE OBJECT THE HARDER THE SHOT

Thanks guys. This trophy will look real good with taters and gravy. :wink: I'll try for one with more servings later.

Hi jethro,Waidmanns Heil!

Nice doe and good story. Why are there so much deer been seen? Is there a trail?

Did you it the stomache or only the scratch it so that nothing could came out?

The behaviour is typical for a liver shot. They move as unhit and went down later.

So a successful day. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Regards

Kirrmeister :hatsoff:

Way to go Jeffro!That's meat in the Pot!Sounds like you still got lots of fun to take place yet.

Any deer taken with honor is a trophy in my book. Bear in mind that many do not take a deer in the season. Look at your own state and do the math. Look at the number of deer taken with the muzzleloader and then compare it to the number of muzzleloader hunters. Then figure out the success rate. You will see that you are in a special minority.

I wouldn't worry about the size. Meat is meat! I know I won't picky when I go out in early December. :grin: I hope I see as many deer as you did. What an unusual active day! Thanks for sharing.

Good for you! Liked the story and it sounds like you were surrounded and fought your way out! Bet she will be good eating.

Dinky? Nah, if you had time to weigh and measure a deer it wouldn't be hunting. It would be like the cattle market...just like work. My belly never cared how big the deer was...though it prefers tender steak to tough old steak!

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Kirrmeister said:
Nice doe and good story. Why are there so much deer been seen? Is there a trail?

Did you it the stomache or only the scratch it so that nothing could came out?

Why are there so many deer? Half luck, half location I suppose. The spot I was hunting has a 15-20 acre thicket down in a big valley surrounded on 3 sides by agricultural crop fields and a large tract of mature timber on the 4th side. The power company came thru 2 years ago and cut a 50 foot wide swath between the thicket and the timber. The clearing is grown up now with weeds and brush but it is all steep hillside.
Deer love to bed in that valley thicket. I sit up on the hillside along the edge where I can see anything crossing the clearing and into the timber and into the thicket. The place I sat yesterday is right at the hub of at least 7 deer trails. Lots of traffic thru there. Gotta have a NorthWest wind to hunt it tho. Had the right wind yesterday. :thumbsup:

I did more than scratch the stomach. Just grazed it. but was plenty to open the stomach and let the contents into the body cavity. I hate when that happens.

Good luck chasin' the Red Deer! :hatsoff:

Back