• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One for the freezer!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flint Hunter said:
Dinky? Nah, if you had time to weigh and measure a deer it wouldn't be hunting. It would be like the cattle market...just like work. My belly never cared how big the deer was...though it prefers tender steak to tough old steak!

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

She really is dinky for a central Illinois deer. Maybe 60-70 pounds dressed. I think I mighta knocked the last of the spots off with my ball. But she was the first good chance and the freezer was bare.
The small ones do taste the best tho. And my old back and knees sure do appreciate it when I shoot a dinky one instead of a biggun way down in the bottom of that valley. :wink:

Saw a few medium size bucks today. had shots at 2 of 'em but let 'em walk hopin' to see a bigger one. I'll be back out tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Hi jethro,

so that is really a fine area for deer. When hitting the stomach badly german hunters say "producing spinach" because that is what it looks like, but it smells much more bad. How do you try to clear the situation? If it happens to me I have water with me or go to a creek and wash the deer out after gutting.

Since yesterday it has snowed again. for the moment it is still a bit windy and stormy (kind of little blizzard), but I think today evening it will work to go outside and see if they move to the baiting.

Regards

Kirrmeister

The local recipe adds corn to the spinach. :haha:

I also carry water with me for use in clean up or just to drink. There's more back at the truck. Creek water here would probably be worse than stomach contents on your meat. :shake:

Good luck this evening. I'm on my way out the door in a few minutes.

Is the creek water so bad over there! Here in the bavarian mountains you can use the water from every creek for this, it has the quality of drinking water. Hope you were lucky during your hunt.

Regards

Kirrmeister

It would be nice to have clean creeks. I wouldn't drink from any around here.

Thanks, I was VERY lucky during my hunt today.

Most of the silt, and along with it the herbicides, and insecticides are NOW Out of the ditch water, because of the Filter Strip programs. The water is in far better shape than its been in 100 years! I am not saying a particular stream might have potable water, but I am a lot less worried about drinking water, or using it to wash off my hands, these days, than I was 20 years ago. Check those streams for the variety of fish, and the growing presense of fresh water mussels( you will see the shells in the shallows), to see what I mean about positive change. Look for sign of beaver, and river otter( cut trees, and drag marks to creeks-beaver; slides for otters, that are narrow like a small roof gutter.)to get an idea how much improved our water quality is now.

Back