• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One Mississippi...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulN/KS

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a Mississippi rifle today in a trade and I was wondering if any of you folks who own one have any tips or suggestions on it's care and feeding. :hmm:
It's the Euroarms .54 version mostly new in the box. My first question is can I swap the nipple out and use regular #11 caps in it ? I have a couple of tins of musket caps for now but they are not always readily available in stores.

Congratulations on your rifle--I have one and it is great fun. Unfortunately I can't help you with converting to #11 caps as I just use the musket caps. With a really tight patch, mine shoots one hole at 25 yards. Loose patches load much easier but open the group to 2 inches.
At first it wouldn't ignite 2f black powder, only 3f. Then I slightly reamed out the channel behind the nipple that leads into the powder chamber in the barrel and that fixed the problem.

Yes you should be able to get a #11 nipple to fit from Track of the Wolf, at least that is where I got one for my Armi Jager Zouave. I was having trouble finding musket caps for a while there and used it as a back up. Worked real well with CCI #11 Magnum caps.

I got my Zoo in 1958 and changed nipples and put
a home made flash guard behind the nipple. This
rifle has never miss fired in all these years and
I use #10 Remmingtons...in all my guns...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just stock up on musket caps when they are available. I've never run out in all the years I've been shooting rifle-muskets.

saaman, what ball size, patch thickness, powder charge do you use in your Mississippi to get such good grouping? I'm still "experimenting" with mine.

Dryball

Back