• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

one piece cleaning rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evan9201

36 Cal.
Reaction score
does any one where i could buy a one piece modern clenaing rod?... i want to get one for my muzzleloaders and my modern guns because i keep snapping the 3 piece outers ones.

thanks

i have just made a one piece range rod/cleaning rod, it has a threded end for a rammer head, patch puller, ball puller and a cleaning jag, also with a muzzle protector. its a 1/4" cold finish steel rod. i have used many like it before, works great and cheap too.

Yes. Track of the Wolf has 1/4" by 34" and 44", 8 x 32 with rotating handle, for $23 and $25. and 5/16 by 34" and 44" with 10 x 32 thread, for $19 and $21, rigid handle. Tennessee Valley Manufacturing has 5/16 x 48" with 8 x 32 thread, I got two of them, $14 apiece. Stainless steel with muzzle guide. I like them, but they are so hard I was not able to drill one out and tap it 10 x 32. Well, just barely.

If you want smaller diameter rods for cartridge rifles, go to Brownells. They have them down to .17 caliber, but much more expensive.

Muzzleloader Builders Supply has stainless steel with rod guide, all 8 x 32 thread, 1/4" x 30, 36, 44 and 48", $14.50 to $16.50. 5/16" by same lengths, $15.40 to $16.50. 3/8" by same lengths, $16.50 to $18.50. If you need to use 10 x 32" attachments, get an 8 x 32 to 10x32 adapter, they all sell them.

For cleaning I use a one piece fiberglass/synthetic rod. I picked up a Traditions universal replacement ramrod that is 37 inches long. It came with a combo ball puller/ jag tip for .54 cal. I made a wood knob handle for it and epoxied it on. I also added a bore guide/protector. Total investment was about $12.

On the range I use a very rigid three piece stainless steel rod with a wooden ball handle.

The synthetic rods are light and good for cleaning but I don't like them for loading.

HD

You can buy a 6' length of 3/8" aluminum for < $9 where I live. I cut it 50" long, for extra purschase on my 44" Fusil, then tapped the ends for 10-32tpi. Then I added a 3" wooden ball on one end, which I could swap out for a T-Handle if/when needed.

ALWAYS use a brass muzzle protector with an aluminum rod.

If you want a one-piece rod for rifles, you might check out S&S Firearms catalog at:[url] http://www.ssfirearms.com/images/07 Cat/SS0752-67.pdf[/url]

Go to page 7 of that pdf download and you'll see several varieties of one-piece rods. I use the wooden-handled versions myself, but I shoot 54, 58 and 69 cals. They come with installed nylon muzzle protectors. You might see something there you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,try Brownells (www.brownells.com)for their Deweys "Big Bore Rod".(page 312 in catalog #60)It's one piece coated steel that takes 10-32 accessories but has an thread adapter for 8-32.I've used these for years.Regards,Mike

Huntin Dawg said:
For cleaning I use a one piece fiberglass/synthetic rod. I picked up a Traditions universal replacement ramrod that is 37 inches long. It came with a combo ball puller/ jag tip for .54 cal. I made a wood knob handle for it and epoxied it on. I also added a bore guide/protector. Total investment was about $12.

On the range I use a very rigid three piece stainless steel rod with a wooden ball handle.

The synthetic rods are light and good for cleaning but I don't like them for loading.

HD

I agree. The plastic rod that came with my Traditions rifle is almost worthless as a loading rod, but is perfect for cleaning. I use a solid oak dowel for my range rod.

Eventually I will make a quality range rod that will also fit in the holder on my rifle. I love the 1/2" oak dowel for a ramrod. It works awsome, but I have not installed any tips on it and it is too large to be carried on the rifle. (just barely fits down the barrel)

I will get serious this summer and make an all purpose rod.

here's what i made..
homadeacces.jpg

just scrap metal i had, i think i did buy the rod, not sure just a 1/4" rod threded on the end, a few minutes of drilling holes and tapping them, i JBweld the spring on the one brass piece, let it cure. good to go.

Back