• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opening day in Kansas for deer.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebiggs1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Opening day was Monday. It was 92 degrees, 90%+ humidity and a wind advisory. I didn't go!
Today is supposed to be 88 degrees and ditto the rest.
:(

I hate wind advisory days. But I'da still went. :grin:
Deer still gotta eat. Just hunt the low spots.

I'd go, if I could get away with hunting in shorts and a t-shirt. Sounds uncomfortable to say the least. I'll take 32 degrees and sleet any day over that balmy day.

Went out this morning because it was 68 degrees but the humidity was 98% and you guessed it, it rained. I didn't see a thing except one red squarrel.

Third day.
I got to the tree stand at 4:00 PM. Soon five turkeys came by than nothing for hours. Than three more turkeys came by. At about 7:00 I saw an 8-point walking across the bean field and lie down about half way through. It was around 100 yards, too far for my flintlock. I watched him for awhile and he seemed set for the night. So I decided to see if I could close the distance between us and get a reasonable shot. I crawled for about 25 yards and all is good. 75 yards is still a long shot so I chanced it and tried to get a little closer. He made me and that was that. He was gone in an instant. Disappointed I started back to the stand to get my stuff and there was two does standing right underneath. Of coarse they were spooked by me and bolted back into the thicket, also in an instant! When it ain't supposed to be it ain't.

Everybody has them days now and again. Least you were able to get to go and enjoy the outdoors. You'll get'em nexy time. Besides that why I tell myself that's why its called hunting and not shooting. :wink:

Back