• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opening Day in the Bay State

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I arose bright and early. Well, not too bright as getting up at 4:00AM is a bit rough. I donned my apparel and headed to the club where I hunt and shoot quite a bit.

Try to picture this in your mind. At the club entrance the road heads north. Parallel to this entrance road is a main road about one half mile away. On the main paved road is a hidden field that is posted. The woods behind the field are posted to a certain point. One can walk to the spot where you can hear gobblers and attempt to call them off the posted land on to my huntable land.

So that was the plan. I walked westward until I saw the familiar orange sign and sat. I heard two gobblers off on that land. As much as I tried, I could not get them to come to me. They did the opposite. It seems a lot of birds here in Southern Worcester County are going to people's back yards and feeding. They aren't roaming the woods. For one we had a very bad acorn crop last year so there isn't a reason to dig for mast. There isn't any. Also many people have bird feeders. Turkeys will take advantage of that situation.

Needless to say it was a futile morning. I and my TC Black Mountain Magnum 12 gauge shotgun did not sing to the birds, or bird, I should say. But I did have some fun and much needed exercise.

One bad thing, Dad did check up on my progress and in the process hit a doe with his car. Surprisingly no damage to the car but not the deer.

Right now I am typing this post at a Starbucks. Dad is having cataract surgery and will be out of commission for a bit in regards to hunting. In a way it bothers him because he would like to go out with me but that and a rotator cuff/fatty tumor that is causing some agony is impeding that.

Hopefully by the fall we'll have all of that behind us and we can enjoy a fruitful year.

My "sightings experience ratio" has been that I go turkey hunting an awful lot of times to finally get a bird in sight...really strains one's patience.
:grin:

Back