• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opening day was a bust....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I went out for the opening morning of turkey season in Massachusetts. On Sunday night I put one gobbler to bed( that is when you scout at nightfall and make some owl calls to determine the location of a roosted bird)

I had my Thompson Center Black Mountain magnum 12 gauge loaded with 2 oz of no 5 shot and sparked by a CCI musket cap. I made sure my green safety sticker was on it( I know it detracts from the looks but I don't want to pay the fine for not having it.)

I crossed a friend's property where he has a small camp and has seen birds in the area. As the morning went on I heard some gobbles. So I moved approximately 100 yards from the birds. The birds were roosting on another piece of property where the owner doesn't allow hunting. I'll respect his boundaries and stay where I am allowed.

I made some soft purrs and nice yelps on my glass pot caller. I got some responses and then waited. In this game you don't want to overcall.

Then all of a sudden I heard a gunshot about 80 yards or so from me. Then I hear some branches breaking, wing flaps and a dull thud.

Someone went onto the posted land when the owner was away at work( he is a teacher and leaves early) and then shot a roosted bird.

Needless to say, my morning was shot. I did walk around a bit making some calls but to no avail. Sometimes that is the nature of turkey hunting in Massachusetts.

Some states like Missouri and Massachusetts mandate that you put this little green circle sticker on your shotgun as a reminder to hunt safely.

If you don't it is a $75 dollar fine.

and I thought california was the state to start stupid ignert laws :idunno: :youcrazy: . Sorry your day got messed up. Better luck your next outing

:doh: Just another money maker.Like yer not gonna hunt safe without it.Go figure. :td: Griz

Here is an image of the mandatory safety sticker for your shotgun. Bear in mind that this is a regulation in print and an offense that can result in a fine.

On my flintlock shotgun I laquered over it to make it more or less permanent. One bad thing is that hunters often lose them from their gun so you have to constantly check to see if it is there.

Don't care much for the sticker! :idunno:
But I like the curled trigger guard extension. :thumbsup:

After many, many years, they finally did away with that stupid sticker requirement here in Missouri this season. The powers that be FINALLY figured out that putting a tiny "Be Safe" sticker on your gun really wasn't effective in keeping some dumb#$$ from shooting somebody. Besides that, the stickers always came off as soon as they got wet.

Another thing I never understood about Missouri's sticker regulation was that you were required to have one on your shotgun but you were not required to put one on your bow if you hunted with archery equipment. Go figure...

Darren

Back