• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

opinions about kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

girine

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi all, new guy here. Lifelong firearms enthusiast and now catching the muzz bug.I have been wanting to build my own southern mountain style rifle for a long time now and I think I am ready.I have been looking at the track of the wolf kits . What do youall think? I want to build their classic tennessee, curly maple , siler perc. lock, 42" barrel in .45 cal. Any other sites you could recommend? Thanks, all. Any advice appreciated. Oh been a trim carpenter for 30 yrs as far as woodworking exp.

TOTW kits are generally well regarded but may be a bit advanced for a starter kit. Ask this question on the Gun Builders Bench forum, or just read the many posts on this subject there.

Welcome!

Look at the Pecatonica River parts rifles also.
[url] http://www.longrifles-pr.com/southernmtn.shtml[/url]
[url] http://www.longrifles-pr.com/tennesseeclassic.shtml[/url]
[url] http://www.longrifles-pr.com/tennesseemtn.shtml[/url]

You have to add the stock prices in also:
[url] http://www.longrifles-pr.com/stockscomponents.shtml[/url]

PR does a nice job, and they are friendly and helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll second the recommendation for Pecatonica Rifles and would only add that you should skip the percussion phase and jump into the only legitimate area, and that is flintlock! You will be glad you did, if not now, then later on.

Its Pecatonica for me boys. On my fourth kit and very happy with the service they do go the extra few miles to keep you happy! Consider the 50cal barrel in 7/8 cos its lighter. Consider a wood patch box maybe with an inlay in the lid (i put a cow shin bone centre in mine, looks good. give me your email address and i will send it thru to you. Pictures i mean not the rifle :haha:
Regards
Dobson

I ahve built about a dozen different "kits" and that's what I got. Excellent practice, not too great a cash outlay and some good fun. But when these are completed there is not value added. A $150 kit makes a $150 rifle.

I have worked with the Chambers components for a bit over 3 years and am extremley impressed. Jim thought these things thru very carefully. The telephone help is excellent if you need a question answered.

I have heard good things about other vendors e.g. TOTW and used their products.

For my money I feel Chambers gives a tremendous product at a great price. Put $800 into components and do your work carefully and you will have an arm worth twice (or more) what you paid, plus a lifelong quailty piece of equipment.

I have limited time to build. I want to use it to produce the best I can. I can only say I am very pleased with what Jim has supplied me with.

if you've been a trim carpenter, you have the skills you need. a agree with the other fella there... forget that caplock business... go with flint... these aren't so much 'kits' as collections of parts, and although i've never built a Chambers kit, i've heard nothing but the best about them and my next build will probably be on of theirs. just one guy's opinion.

by the way, if you don't already have them, i'd spring for Recrating the American Longrifle by Shumway or The Gunsmith of Grenville County by Alexander (or both, if you're feeling generous to yourself). a bit of sticker shock, but they will explain a good bit of the how- and- why and will save more than their purchase price in ruined parts and frustration (at least, they did for me).

good luck with your project

msw

First off, welcome to the Forum. You already know the importance of very sharp tools, and accurate measuring. The kits you speak of aren't kits at all but parts sets without instructions, but that is good. It allows you to customize your order and get exactly what you want. Pecatonica makes the precarves for Track, so I would choose them. Chambers unfortunatly doesn't make a Southern Mtn rifle, so that leaves them out, even though they're the best. By going with Pecatonica you can make changes when you order. For one thing all these parts sets come with a Germanic lock standard, when a correct style should be a late English import lock like the Siler late Ketland. Dick at Pecatonica can do that for you. He can mix, and match different different parts also, like a swamped barrel, all of which you choose before he cuts your stock. A Southern Mtn rifle is an excellant first gun to start with.
You do know that you're going down a slippery slope, that there is no return from. Welcome to the misery.

Bill

There is no better pain killer than ice, and it works especially well when it has whiskey poured over it--Gracie Allen

'Was a furniture maker and trim carpenter for 25 years. TOTW kits are very do-able, but alot of metal clean-up and a little problem solving.

Just had a Chambers kit delivered last week and just by looking at it I can see its a superior product...I especially like that Rice barrel that is already cleaned up.

my 2 cents

Hands down Chambers and if you wanna take a nice gunmaking vacation take a ride out to Conners Prairie in October and sign up for the gunmakers class with Jim Chambers himself as well as Mike Brooks and John Westin. I'll be there but this year I'm taking the carving and patchbox class with Jim Klein. Also taking the early weekend pipe tomahawk class.

Well, thanks for all the good info, now I have some figurin to do.I will keep you posted.

zukeeper1 said:
Chambers has nice stuff for sure , but I feel his selection is poor
You should have been around 25 years ago when there was NO selection..... :shake:

zukeeper1 said:

Well there's always your big box stores like Wal-Mart. Something there for everyone :rotf:

Seriously though, Chambers offers more correct kits than anyone I know of.

There are other kit sellers out there that have quite an impressive list of guns they offer but one is not going to always get the correct furniture, wood,lock etc. for that particular gun as they are not up on what is correct for what gun. I have had one try to convince me what was clearly an early 19th century shotgun trigger guard was correct for a mid 18th century fowling piece. If things like that are not an issue, then one should be able to find all kinds components made up into a "kit".

Another option is to get a pre-carve from one of the barrel in-leters let him inlet the barrel and ramrod and lock if you want to use the lock he inlets. Then order all the other parts yourself just like you want. I went that route on my last gun and it gives you many more options.

That is if you can find one that has a pre-carve Southern.

I don't agree with use of the word "poor", but I tend to agree with the sentiment. Chambers kits get nothing but raves, and I certainly would have considered buying a parts build set from Chambers if they had adverstised the style I wanted.

But... I didn't call Chambers and ask what they could do. And possibily part of the reason they do so well is that they don't do (advertise at least) all styles, focusing instead on those styles that fit their artistry. I certainly respect that. They have some beautiful styles, no doubt, and their locks are hands down the best I've ever seen.

In response to the original post, I recommended also checking out PR, as they have been great to work with, had reasonable prices and have a selection of southern mountain styles similar to those noted in the original post.

I guess the point is to check out several suppliers, including Chambers, to find something that fits your style, experience, and with the best components and service your budget can handle.

I didn't read all the replies on here, but I've read enough threads about beginners and kits to know what everyone said.

Someone probably told you to skip the kit and build one from scratch. Don't listen to them. The kit keeps you from having to worry about architecture and just focus on building the gun the best you can.

I am a first timer too, but have been ML'ing for a while. I am working on a Chambers Early York kit and I have been quite impressed with the whole shebang. I have no experience with the others, but I took a first hand look at Pecatonica, Muzzle Loader Builders Supply and Tip Curtis at Friendship in the fall. I decided on the Chambers kit due to the quality of components. Plus, Jim gave me a heck of a deal.

Back