• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

opinions of best twist rate for 45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, just for matches, paper and sillhoettes.
You are probably good with just about any of the typical rates for a 45.

the green mountain Kibbler barrel in 45 has a 1-72 this is one of the reasons i asked. i have built several of them and in the middle of one now and have another on the way. this is the SMR i speak of, they shoot good with 55gr. of 3f, but i really have no idea why Jim went with a 1[72 twist in a 45 barrel.
Maybe there is something to be learned there.

The ultimate slow twist is a no twist smooth bore. I don't shoot them but many of our members seem to get pretty good accuracy with them. The "conventional wisdom" applied to round balls is the larger the ball the slower the twist. And the reverse, the smaller the ball the faster the twist.

If Kibler's SMR shoots as well as reported, and I believe the reports, maybe the degree of twist for our RB guns is less relevant than we think 🤔????

Latest posts

Back