• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions Wanted on Deer Creek Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ornrytexan

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Howdy All,

Does anyone here have experience with the Deer Creek rifle kits for sale on auctionarms? The seller says that they're American made and have maple stocks. From the pictures they look nice, but I would really like to hear some input from someone who has experience with them.

How would these stack up against a Lyman GPR kit? I really like the fact that they're made in the US (confirmation on this would be nice too) and they are priced well below a GPR kit. Too good to be true?

Thanks for the adice yall,
ornrytexan

:)Seen several..I shot with a guy who was a gun dealer, he shot many types, he was pleased with it and so was I. For the price. ::

Just went to auction arms and put in all variations of Deer Creek Rifle Kits and came back with zilch. Can you supply an auction number. TIA. Uncrichie...

If it's the ones I'm thinking about, the subject line, or description, usually has something like; "I built it in an hour" or "only took me an hour to build".

HardBall, your right I found it under "Took me an Hour". Pretty neat, looks like a fun winter project. Wonder what the quality i like? Uncrichie...

Really don't know anything about the deercreek rifles. However, this add seems to be from the same guy that has been helping me with my underhammer. The guy is very friendly, and he offers a money back guarantee on his underhammer kits. Might take a look at www.underhammers.com and check him out.

BTW I have no affiliation with this guy except for the help that he has provided with my underhammer. I have not purchased a gun from him (yet), but he has still sent me over a dozen emails answering all of my questions.

I looked at his feedback section and this is the same guy that has been helping me. Email him at [email protected] and see if he offers the same money back guarantee on these rifles that he offers on his underhammers made by deercreek.

This guy seems to be very knowledgeable and loves to talk muzzleloaders.

The guys name is Bruce and he operates another web site about muzzleloaders as well.[url] bluegrouseblackpowder.intranets.com/default.asp?link=[/url]

There he has pictures like this one
[
deer%20creek%20flint%20cheek.jpg

Sure does look purty huh? But, what a waste to put a cheek piece on the left side of the stock when everyone knows that real shooters shoot from the right side of the stock. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Several years ago I owned two - one a cap lock and the other flint. I purchased these new and complete for about $450 each. The model, I believe was called Mountaineer. A couple of years ago the kits alone were selling for about $600. The problem I had with both guns were they were ill-bore; i.e. the rear sight hanging off one side of the barrel and the front off the other side and they still wouldn't hit the target. I wound up mailing these guns back five times before I got barrels that were bored "true". After getting getting the good barrels the guns would shoot good athough the flintlock was slow and cranky.

The current DC guns are a rebirth of the old CVA Mt. Rifle, with barrel made on the old Douglas machine, I have heard they are ok, the percussion may be a better choice than the flint as few budget flintlocks will pass a ridged test, I had a Cumberland (last American try at the Hatfield and it was a good gun), I suspect for the price they would be a fair value, I have talked to several people who are satisfied with theirs, one must always keep in mind what the level of experience and acceptability in quality of guns is when anyone gives a gun a rating.

So would I be better off buying a Lyman GPR kit if I wanted a flintlock? It seems like many people rate them highly and I feel like I should be able to build one fairly easy.

OrnryTexan

I have a Lyman GPR flintlock (not a kit, is a pre-built gun), and love it. You'll need to do some drilling on the touch hole liner, but that's it. Great rifle.

Some time ago someone told me that DC (formerly Wilderness Rifle Works) had bought out Cheney Rifle Works out of OK. I don't know if this is true or not. A friend of mine bought a Hatfield during the time they were going out of business. There was some problem with the gun including the barrel and Ted Hatfield told him to send the gun to DC for replacement/repair which he did. The gun was fixed and returned.

If I were to have to make the choice I would go with the LGP kit, for the few extra $$ it is probably a better value...and their kits are quite easy to assemble..lots of help to be had here on the forum if you need it.

Back