• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Optimum Diameter For A Jag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwolf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the optimum under bore diameter for a jag?

The reason I am asking is I bought a CVA .50 Cal Jag for my new Hawken, only to find out it is the same diameter jag I have for my .54 caliber rifle! :shocked2:

I guess I have been using an undersized jag for my .54 for all these years. :redface:

The .50 caliber jag I bought measured .47x” or right near, I don’t remember exactly.

In "Recreating the American Longrifle" the following sizes are listed:
cal jag
.32 .300
.36 .330
.40 .370
.45 .420
.50 .470
.54 .510
.58 .540
these seem to work pretty well and are more or less standard for jags you buy. I have found that wiping between shots on humid days the .030 less than bore size may push fouling into the patent breech and then cause miss fires with caplocks. Not as great a problem with flintlocks. Just my experience. I often use the next size smaller for caplocks when wiping between shots.
For cleaning at home or the range the .030 under bore size is best.

That seems to work the best for me too. About .030 under is the standard I use for jags that I make unless the shooter specifies something else. It all depends on thickness of the patch material used and as you said the humidity or lack thereof plays a big part as well as the type of cleaning agent used. I have made some jags with as little as .025 and others over .040 clearance, but most prefer .030 +- a couple of thousandths.
:grin:

One thing that few folks consider in this cleaning business is the thickness of your material. If you use whatever, you will often find conditions sometimes loose, sometimes tight. T-shirt material by the yard is cheap and is consistent as you can always get the same again. Look on the tag on the end of the bolt. Use good scissors. Wonky

Gill said:
In "Recreating the American Longrifle" the following sizes are listed:
cal jag
.32 .300
.36 .330
.40 .370
.45 .420
.50 .470
.54 .510
.58 .540

I remeasured the two jags I have.

The .50 jag I just bought measures .470", spot-on in seems.

My other jag, measures .450", which does not correspond to any caliber on the above table. But, interpolating, it would be ideal for a .48 caliber bore!

Latest posts

Back