• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ordered a rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancill

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After not being able to come to terms on several used rifles I ordered a new one today. I am getting a Lyman Great plains 54 Cal 1:60 twist. I have already ordered Dutch's book so maybe before rifle season starts I will be all dialed in.

that's a good choice in both rifle and caliber. You should be able to hunt most anything Texas has to offer. That's a round ball twist barrel so get ready to work up a load for it. Good Luck and happy range time. :stir:

Yaa done good!! Good rifle, good caliber and you won't be disappointed with using Dutch Schoultz' methods. My one single point of disagreeent with Dutch is in his cleaning method. He uses a "waterless" cleaning method and I highly recommend a good washing with soapy water to get and keep your gun clean. In fact, here is teh methos that has worked for me for many many years. Remmove your barrel, remove the nipple, put the breach end of the barrel in a bucket of soapy water. Plain dish sopa works quite well and I prefer to use water is about as hot as you can comfortably keep your hands in. Wet a patch on your cleanign jag and run it to the bottom of your bore. Pump it up and down to flush the soapy water into and out of the breach. Then bring your patch up a few inches and scrub that area. Keep moving up until you have scrubbed the entire length of your bore. Remove your barrel from teh bucket of sopay water and rinse it with warm clean water to remove all of the soap. Dry your bore with several dry patches. Spray some WD-40 into the muzzle and leet it run down and out of the nipple hole. Now, run several more dry patcvhes down your bore to remove all of the WD-40. It has done its job and ther only one which it is intended to do. Next run a patch with some Birchwood-Casey's Barricade on it down the bore to protect it from rust and your barrel is done. Clean the nipple wwith soapy water, rinse with clean and dry thoroughly. Lightly apply some anti-sieze grease to the threads and replace it in the barrel. I have found the weasiest and best way to clean my lock is to remove it from the stock and take it outside and flush it with some spray carburetor cleaner. Pay attention to the hammer face and use a toothbrush to get it clean. Shake off the excess and allow it to dry. It will dry pretty quickly. Then lightly oil it and replace it in the stock. I like to wipe off my stock with a damp cloth to remove any dirt and then apply a light coat of a paste floor wax. Buff it, reassemble your clean gun and it is ready to go back in the gun safe.

This has kept my guns in pristine condition for many years.

October is bow season. Will be using an longbow and wooden arrows. First weekend of November through Feb is rifle and muzzleloader.

Just remember most lyman new barrels need about 50 shots though them before they get super accurate. So be patient..

You have plenty of time to prep. Who did you order from?

Will be picking up my longbow or maybe a static recurve for labor day weekend elk opener. Am quite excited about it.

as Mr. Alden eluded to, Lymans QC isn't worth a darn, inspect the rifle thoroughly when you un-box it, if it doesn't suit you (fit and finish), be prepared to send it back for an exchange. Otherwise the Lyman GPR is an excellent choice!

Be sure to clean then check the barrel carefully. My kit had some burrs and other minor flaws within the first 6 inches of the muzzle. I've been able to correct most of those problems, but I shouldn't have had to. It is a beautiful gun and about as close to a genuine Hawken as you can get under a thousand $. Good luck.

You bought an excellent rifle. :)

I own a .54 Trade Rifle and really like it. Also have a .50 barrel for it too. Be sure and get all of the factory protecting grease cleaned off inside and out. Page one of this PDF manual has good instructions.

Here's the Lyman manual. Thought you might want to check it out before your gun arrives.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/muzzle-loaders/pdfs/lyc-ml-general.pdf

Enjoy your new rifle. :thumbsup:

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
The UPS man is cool he left my gun on the porch even though I wasn't home to sign for it. I think I will like this rifle. The barrel is soaking with WD40 just like the instructions said so can't shoot it till tomorrow. I looked over every inch of the gun
The only complaint is the barrel pins. One was soo tight that hammering would have been required. A little file work and it's better. It looked like a freshman in shop class had made it. They are still very very tight, but after the barrel and stock adjust with some shooting time I will revisit them.

Those tight keys are typical. Would not file them though. Just lay them on the bench and tap a slight bow into the key. Just fiddle with them till they fit snugly.

never heard of the WD40 soak.

This gun was oily. I only filed on one wedge. That one had a bulge out one side and the end was not tapered to self align. So I fixed both problems.

Back