• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oregon Deer Tags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
All of you Oregon Deer hunters get your tag applications in on time?i put in for 100m ML tag and a two week antlerless tag in the Coast range.

"You gonna build one"

Hey! who put my post here? where are my glasses?
where is a moderator when ya needs one?

Boy tg, I sure hope you have better luck in finding a deer than you did in finding a place for this topic. I mean, the Gun Builders Bench doesn't usually have very many deer walking around it. :grin:

Good luck with your deer hunt. :)

Put in for Columbia Basin Mule deer buck and antlerless.

Understand there are about 50,000 fewer tag applicants this year, probably due to the fee increase and bad economy. Not sure how that will affect the odds.

Zonie said:
Boy tg, I sure hope you have better luck in finding a deer than you did in finding a place for this topic. I mean, the Gun Builders Bench doesn't usually have very many deer walking around it. :grin:

Good luck with your deer hunt. :)

I suppose if he had the right kind of paper and a good printer..... :wink:

tg said:
All of you Oregon Deer hunters get your tag applications in on time?i put in for 100m ML tag and a two week antlerless tag in the Coast range.

Im in, after ML whitetails again up NE of LaGrand. :thumbsup:

I may have to whittle one from a log as scarce as the Blacktai have become around here,I have not seen the populations this low in all the years I have hunted, many units now have 100 tags for draw where there were once 2000, not a good sign, the drop in applicants is a good sign however.I have 6-10 that hang out in the back yard off and on and several are really scroungy looking from Hair loss syndrome one, ( a two year old buck with nubs showing) is nearly bald on the left side.I useed to pick and choose so to speak passing does untill the last three or four days, then taking one if I did not get a buck but nowdays it is best to take the first nice sized deer one sees as it may be the last/only one of the season depending on how much time one has to hunt, I have passed 7 does or spike in half a day before, I have not seen that many in an entire seson for five or six years.

tg said:
I may have to whittle one from a log as scarce as the Blacktai have become around here,I have not seen the populations this low in all the years I have hunted, many units now have 100 tags for draw where there were once 2000, not a good sign, the drop in applicants is a good sign however.I have 6-10 that hang out in the back yard off and on and several are really scroungy looking from Hair loss syndrome one, ( a two year old buck with nubs showing) is nearly bald on the left side.I useed to pick and choose so to speak passing does untill the last three or four days, then taking one if I did not get a buck but nowdays it is best to take the first nice sized deer one sees as it may be the last/only one of the season depending on how much time one has to hunt, I have passed 7 does or spike in half a day before, I have not seen that many in an entire seson for five or six years.

I grew up in Myrtle Point (the apex of the Tioga, Powers, Sixes, and douglas units. Deer were LOUSY thick back then...That was in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. My grand parents lived in Siletz outside of Newport and I lived there for two years and comuted over to Monmouth getting my degree, '89/'90....Deer were plentiful. It hurts me when I visit those ares now and see NO deer. My kids question my stories :( :wink:
Iknow taht hair loss is BAD, Im guessing that poaching is BAD, I know that for YEARs they ran stupid numbers of doe tags (That was probably te beginning of the end), logging is down so there are fewer clearcuts for qood feed, preditors are UP (Bears and Cats)....Is there any hope?
7-8 years ago I decidecd that I would save my $$ and hunt as I could out of state (every other year) if needs be to get a better hunt...Washington has a GREAT late season CF hunt in november and a Very Good ML hunt in early December and there are LOTS of Whitetails up near Coleville. N Idaho is very similar...BUT its $400.00 plus for tags pus travel expenses. :(
Hard to find a good awnser.

I put in for East Grant Elk again ,had it last year,seen Elk but was by myself,just couldnt' connect.Most of the Elk were on east side on private ranches,need I say more? Funny how the Deer and Elk population went down when we couldnt' run Dogs for Lions and Bear, I'm not a rocket surgeon,just in the woods 365 days a year

TG, what is Hair loss syndrome? Never heard of it, aside from the obvious, what else are the symptoms?

Tall-TBushwacker said:
I put in for East Grant Elk again ,had it last year,seen Elk but was by myself,just couldnt' connect.Most of the Elk were on east side on private ranches,need I say more? Funny how the Deer and Elk population went down when we couldnt' run Dogs for Lions and Bear, I'm not a rocket surgeon,just in the woods 365 days a year

I was talking to a biologist in Portland on Wednesday and he admitted stated the Lion populations AND the heard loss estimates were "grossly" and "intentionally" understated because its NOT politically advanatagious to tell the truth.
Who-da ever thought that fish n game would be managed for political gain VS for the advantage of the people? :hmm: :cursing:

I have not read the article on it for several years, but I think that parasites help cause the deer to lick the slipping hair and increase the hair slip which in turn causes a lot of hair to be in the deers digestive system which effects its ability to digest food and get nutrition,thus creating weak animals more subject to other ailments I will look up the article and add more when I find it.

I just found this, I have not read it so it definately trumps the above

http://googlesearch.dfw.state.or.us/search?q=hairloss&btnG=Search+ODFW&site=default_collection&client=ODFW_FE&proxystylesheet=ODFW_FE&output=xml_no_dtd

tg said:
I have not read the article on it for several years, but I think that parasites help cause the deer to lick the slipping hair and increase the hair slip which in turn causes a lot of hair to be in the deers digestive system which effects its ability to digest food and get nutrition,thus creating weak animals more subject to other ailments I will look up the article and add more when I find it.

I just found this, I have not read it so it definately trumps the above

http://googlesearch.dfw.state.or.us/search?q=hairloss&btnG=Search+ODFW&site=default_collection&client=ODFW_FE&proxystylesheet=ODFW_FE&output=xml_no_dtd

While the cause of DHLS is not clearly understood,
scientists do know that a key factor
contributing to the loss of hair on deer is a
hyper-sensitivity to lice commonly found on
deer. Deer scratch, rub and chew on their hides
in reaction to the lice infestation. This likely
causes hair to fall out. In addition, these deer
often have a heavy infestation of muscle worms
that contribute to their sickness. Poor immune
function also may be a contributing factor.

No ML tag this year/no antletrless extra deer tag this year, looks like a general tag for fork horn and better Oct 2nd thru Nov.5th I believe, huntin' with the centerfire bunch, never really a problem just have to find horns.Watching the rubber necks is always entertaining to a point.

tg said:
No ML tag this year/no antletrless extra deer tag this year, looks like a general tag for fork horn and better Oct 2nd thru Nov.5th I believe, huntin' with the centerfire bunch, never really a problem just have to find horns.Watching the rubber necks is always entertaining to a point.

My Sympathies... :(

I got my draw for Easter Ore either sex, Sled Springs unit. :)

I missed on my deer ML in the Klamath Unit. I drew that last year so I'm not surprised. I did draw a ML Elk tag for East Fort Rock/Paulina. It was my first try and I am surprised it didn't take 2-3 tries. I have sporadic jobs in the Silver Lake area and expected to work in a scouting trip every time I went there the next two or so years. Hope I get several jobs in the area this Summer and condense my scouting time. I was hoping to get a deer tag with my second choice, Melrose/Sixes, as I spent about 25 years there before moving Eastside. Historically there are more tags than applicants so hoped that as a second choice would work out. Interested to see if there are left over tags. With the surprise elk tag I doubt if I can swing two hunting trips, just want to find out if picking second choice is a waste of time.

Back