• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original French Tulle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFL

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

What you are looking at is my first muzzleloader. I bought this little pistol at an auction this past September and didn't receive it until Christmas. It has beautiful engravings on the side plate and butt cap, which were enhanced by cleaning. With some 0000 steel wool and Hoppe's 9, I was able to remove rust and a black film that was originally scattered on the metal. The barrel was significantly pitted and rusted, but I was able to clean that out. After that, the whole gun was given an oil and Renaissance wax coating. The ramrod is unfortunately missing. I would appreciate it if anyone knows what kind of ramrod this took so I can maybe replace it with a new one. The title stated 1770 French Pocket Pistol, but thanks to Wes/Tex he was able to uncover its history.

Finally was able to dig out my copy of "The Fusil de Tulle in New France 1691-1741" by Russel Bouchard. What you're looking at is either a Pattern of 1691 or Pattern of 1729-1734 made by Tulle for the Department of the Navy(problem is that actual whole pistols seem to be missing or unfound), which was responsible for France's overseas colonies...hence the name Compagnies Franches De La Marine, a confusing term that only indicates the troops were under the auspices of the navy and not the army. Rare pistol! Now for the bad news...the pistols had 14" barrels, trimmed to 12 inches in 1717 and continued at 12" and 20 balls/pound bore through it's production period. Basically, this pistol has been cut roughly in half! Both Patterns had a cannon muzzle ring at the muzzle, it is now supposed to strengthen that area and may be the reason someone's engraved a ring at the muzzle in an attempt to duplicate the look. Sorry.

The barrel stamp is that of Michel Pauphile, Sr. or Jr. Michel senior died in Feb., 1698 and his son Michel took over in the armory. Since they both seem to have used the same stamp, which is just a guess. The additional problem is that since only a sketch exists or the Pattern 1691 and only a 'best guess' sketch done in recent times of the Pattern 1729-34, actual identity will be very difficult. The lock should be marked "PAVILLE A TVLLE" in three lines, the "V" representing "U" but easier to make a stamp for. The barrel should have the MP over T plus either fluer de lis or crown or both. Closer identification may locate these. Why the lock is marked as it is, I don't know. Sadly, what you're looking at is half of a very rare pistol...I have no way of determining what kind of value that would leave. Kind of like sawing off the barrel of a Paterson Colt to make it more portable!

12549751323_a4396f66ff_h.jpg

12550106094_a6e81863fd_h.jpg

12549749673_5068c683ab.jpg
12550104464_73e2fb3ccc.jpg
12549748733_fd4b514fed.jpg
12550100964_810916409b.jpg
12550102204_591441d64f.jpg
12550100424_c7647c4bab.jpg
12549744483_bf4c2fe22a.jpg
12550098884_6a8efe133b.jpg
12549742113_595ee383cf.jpg
12550097584_70e274ede9.jpg
12549746443_c162ff2860.jpg
12549748213_ea3ac8af8b.jpg

Looks like you did a good job cleaning up the pistol, but is it really advisable to "clean" something that old up with steel wool? Just asking....
Sorry I can't help with your ramrod question.

Well, I did read that removing the rust could decrease the value, but I did not want any rust on it. I was afraid it would worsen and cause pitting. 0000 steel wool is perfectly safe for cleaning originals, as long as you don't use too much elbow grease. Bronze or copper wool is a better option, but the steel wool cleaned the metal and maintained the original patina.

Thanks for posting some better pics of this pistol.I think it interesting.
That being said,here are some thoughts:
the sideplate and TG appear to be from latter period-1740ish. The engraving on them differs from that of the butt cap,as if done by two different hands.I do not recognise the caving on the tang ang RR entry as being French.let alone 1700ish.
The sideplate just does not "fit" in the lock panels.
The barrel appears to have been cut at the wedding band,unusual because these earlier pistols lack one. There appears to be no engraving on the lock to go with rest of the other parts,and the signature engraving appears cruder than ive seen.
Also, a very early pistol's trigger would have a little curl towards the rear.
I think this gun has had more than the barrel bobbed off in a crude manner,And probably not all it done in the period.
An untouches 'amat a tulle' very early tulle, very rare

This is probably the ONLY known Tulle contract pistol known,i do not think anyone even knows it whereabouts now[somewhere in europe]

]
I'll share something else, see that teardrop finial on the frizzen spring? That is a uniquely'French' feature.A lot of people miss this when looking at or building a gun. The posted gun lacks this.At very least a replacement.
Can you all see the differences?
My intentions are not to demean the gun,i find it intersting.i just like to show whats out there. its how we learn.
Best regards, Alex E.

please excuse the double posted pics :redface:

You are not demeaning the gun at all! The truth is the truth. If anything I thank you for it. Also I want to point out to you, the barrel doesn't fit into the wood very well. You best see it from the bottom of the gun, where the ramrod should be. I don't know if this is anything, but I just wanted to mention it.

Most barrel inlets on these old guns were hogged out at best.with a exceptions,if it was not seen,it really did not matter.

Alex, do you think the original pistol or parts may date from the earlier M.1691 pattern gun Tulle contracted for? Since only a copy of the original contract is available and the illustration somewhat resembles FFL's pistol, though his has been surgically altered, and that illustration indicates a muzzle ring, which it appears somebody attempted to duplicate with a ring. I'm personally thankful for your photo. At the time the book was published, the author seems to have been unaware of it's existence because of comments that none were known to exist of either pattern Tulle produced. Would be great if one came to life from Canada...in fact, it's hared to know what might exist is someone's collection or in the case of some small museum. Thanks again for sharing the photo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I agree. It is about a .375 barrel, which seems pretty small for a contract pistol.

Sorry, looks like I've been talking thru my hat. If you mentioned it had a .375" bore I totally missed it. The two Patterns contracted thru Tulle for the Compagnies Franches were both 20 balls per livre, smaller than 20 per pound as in English, which is usually figured at about .595" bore and shot a.540" ball...this is based on recovered barrels and molds. Beginning to think yours is a specially made personal pocket pistol made for who knows! This is getting curiouser and curiouser! :wink: :doh:

Very interesting Thread. The posted pistol seems to be a variety of parts. Looks like it may have been originally made as a pocket pistol? The grip does seem a little short for a military pistol.
Another thing: I notice the posted pistol has a pan to fence arm, yet a flat top frizzen. I'm a novice in French arms, but the frizzen arm seems to be a post-1740 feature (?) Of course, I may soon get corrected about that. :haha:
Here is a pic of the side plate of a pistol that I own that is likely pre-1740. I post this just to show the similarities with the one Alex posted above.
The posted pistol sure invites a lot of speculation. Interesting gun. Thanks again for posting. Rick. :hatsoff:

I think it looks great. I am not a fan of patina at all. When I see it I think to myself "that is not what it should look like, that is not what it looked like when it was new". All patina does is show how long a thing has gone without proper cleaning and maintenance.

Early side plates can sure get what I call down right fancy! The French didn't have the market cornered either. This is from an Italian pistol ca.1690-1710.
QualityBresicanPistol015.jpg

Isn't that something. And inlet!

This is from one of the reproductions in a brace of small Italian snaphaunces I have -- their furniture is silver.

Back