• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just think its awesome that these have been preserved now for all times. Almost want to hop on over to Glorieta just to gawk and handle a couple of those.

Fascinating.

I did a Google search on
Jim Gordon museum glorieta nm
Nothing turned up.

Is there a link and/or street address or other info?

I'd like to visit someday.

Thanks

Jim Gordon is not into computers. See my post of 10/18 above for his home address and phone number. You arrange with him a time to visit his museum.

By the way, at Herb's suggestion, I did call him and he is a GREAT guy to talk to. Every bit as advertised and more. Somehow I have to get down there this summer.

Brent

Brent said:
The photo attached is of an original Hawken that was at auction a few years ago. Another like it resides in the Cody Museum. I believe they may be the only two Hawkens with pistol grips. This one was, apparently, a target rifle, judging from the tang fitting for a lollipop style of sight.

I'd be interested if anyone has other photos of this rifle or the other pistol grip Hawken, and I would be VERY interested if someone was shaping a stock blank like this. I think this will be my next winter project.

Pistol%20grip%20Hawken.jpg

Pistol%20Grip%20Hawken%20B.jpg

Pistol%20Grip%20Hawken%20checkering.jpg

Look on pages vi and vii of John Baird's book, "Hawken Rifles the Mountain Man's Choice. That same rifle from all appearances is the same as Number 7 (far right on both pages) in James Serven's collection. This collection was broken up and sold. I talked to Bob Browner this Spring and he told me about that. He said that he knew where all of them went but one. He owns Number 5 in that collection and built a perfect copy of it. He will take orders for copies.

Latest posts

Back