• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original notched breech plugs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read one string on this site from not too long ago where a fellow was beset with a ton of nonsense and outright lies in defending his notching of breech plugs.

Hi,
Here is one by Nicholas Bis made no later than 1713. Bis is considered by many to be the greatest barrel maker during the late 1600s and early 1700s. I cleaned up the barrel and breech plug and polished off the corrosion on the inside. The plug has the 7 threads found on almost all Spanish barrels at the time and the rounded threads indicate it was swaged in a mold rather than the threads cut on a round stock.
mAj7fZH.jpg

EDzE70t.jpg

dave

Hi,
Here is one by Nicholas Bis made no later than 1713. Bis is considered by many to be the greatest barrel maker during the late 1600s and early 1700s. I cleaned up the barrel and breech plug and polished off the corrosion on the inside. The plug has the 7 threads found on almost all Spanish barrels at the time and the rounded threads indicate it was swaged in a mold rather than the threads cut on a round stock.
mAj7fZH.jpg

EDzE70t.jpg

dave
That’s a clean looking barrel for 300+ years of age.

Back