• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Sharps 1859 Rifle Berdan Configuration

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I managed to secure a Sharps rifle and bayonet of the Berdan configuration with both the OWA inspection stamp on the barrel and JT cartouche on the stock along with double set triggers and no lever lock. The serial number 57143 is in what I understand to be the correct range for potential issue to the 1st or 2nd sharp shooters, but I really do not know who or where to look for any sort of history on this rifle or confirmation. Any input would be appreciated.

IMG_8456-1.jpg
IMG_8455-1.jpg
IMG_8457-1.jpg
IMG_8458-1.jpg
IMG_8459-1.jpg

Last edited:
That is definately a Berdan configuration Sharps. You are very lucky. I've managed to pick up three of them through 30+ years of collecting. Yours looks really nice.

The interesting thing that I have read about the 1st and 2nd USSS is that some of their contemporaries did not think highly of them. We picture these guys as an elite force, and they were, but regular line soldier thought they were basically similar to murderers. Purposely going out in small groups to reconnoiter and if they could kill an individual. I think most volunteers in typical regiments could always fall back on " I probably didn't kill anyone" through all the smoke and volleys on a typical battlefield, being a good Christian and all! But the men of the sharpshooters purposely tried to kill individuals when they had a chance. It made them different from ordinary soldiers. They didn't hide behind huge clouds of smoke from a regimental volley. They were a different breed for sure. Obviously not all thought they were bad, but some did. I think it's important to remember that, and how this rifles fits into that history. It's an incredible find, and I can't believe so many others on this forum have an original Berdans Sharps! What? have I been doing wrong all these years!

Thanks! The top one, with the single trigger, is actually listed by number in Col. Trepps ledger as one having been repaired. Now if I can only figure out why someone put the weird star inlay on it.

Thanks! The top one, with the single trigger, is actually listed by number in Col. Trepps ledger as one having been repaired. Now if I can only figure out why someone put the weird star inlay on it.
Probably a post war commemoration name tag of some sort. Too bad it was removed/lost. Where would I find Col. Trepp's ledger? Did anyone scan and make it available? Have you ever fired any of them?

Last edited:
Probably a post war commemoration name tag of some sort. Too bad it was removed/lost. Where would I find Col. Trepp's ledger? Did anyone scan and make it available? Have you ever fired any of them?
I've been trying to get a copy from the New York Historical Society. https://findingaids.library.nyu.edu/nyhs/ms670_25_caspar_trepp/ It is listed in Wiley swords book as well. I have not fired any of them. I have a couple Shilohs that I shoot, but I'm a little paranoid about damaging the originals.

I've been trying to get a copy from the New York Historical Society. https://findingaids.library.nyu.edu/nyhs/ms670_25_caspar_trepp/ It is listed in Wiley swords book as well. I have not fired any of them. I have a couple Shilohs that I shoot, but I'm a little paranoid about damaging the originals.
I'm still on the fence about shooting them. Maybe with a light load. Given the robust design, I doubt there is much risk aside from the sheet of flame I expect to encounter. The bore is in very good condition. Did you send your request to the NYU library in writing? They sound picky about that. It says they can scan up to 20 pages for you. I also found an auction from 9 years ago where someone sold a Berdan with a ledger documenting other rifles issued by serial number and soldier. I requested the auction house pass my contact info. along to the winner.

Latest posts

Back