• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Osage Orange for ramrods?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaBee133

40 Cal
Reaction score
Have a perfectly straight wind killed bois d’arc that will be split for bow staves. Thinking that the narrow “scrap” splits might make servicable ramrod billets.
If you have not used it, the wood wears like iron. Anvil stable, and twice as tough. I already use small scraps in my traditional forge, it burns as nice as anthracite, just watch for sparks.
The ramrod for my .54 GPR is about as stable as green willow twigs, i.e., not very. I have a couple hundred Osage trees that are select pruned by local traditional bowyers. I prefer wood to fiberglass or metal. Dowel sizing/shaping jig “should” produce a consistent rod blank. Works fine with iron bark elm.
Feasible? Thanks y’all

So long as you have straight grain running true the length of the rod, without any cross or angled grain, I can't see why it wouldn't work. From what little experience I had with it, I don't recall Osage being brittle or weak, quite the opposite.

So long as you have straight grain running true the length of the rod, without any cross or angled grain, I can't see why it wouldn't work. From what little experience I had with it, I don't recall Osage being brittle or weak, quite the opposite.
The weak rod is the factory Interarm issued oil finished mystery wood.
Only “problem” with Osage is it outgasses while turning from Mt Dew yellow to ochre as it dries. It stinks, bad.
Oh, it also sparks, and eats chisels.

Latest posts

Back