• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

other than lead or steel shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
I haven't been on here for a couple years and have been catching up on my reading here for a couple days. Recently I've been reading posts regarding steel shot for water foul and "other than lead" shot for water foul and turkeys. A few years ago while trying to work up a turkey load for my .62 smoothie I cut open some Heavy Shot cartridges I lucked into finding on sale to steal the shot. The shot was not round. It was very irregular, even jagged. I tried some shot from their "Classic Doubles" line and it was smooth but cylindrical with rounded ends.
So, my question, is the tungsten, bismuth, and other non-toxic and heavier than lead shot available from reloading suppliers round? J would lime to take advantage of the density of these products but need tighter patterns for the heavily pressured gobblers in my area. Also which of these products is hardest and softest?
Thanks.

Get some of everything you can find and pattern it. A tight pattern with square shot beats a loose pattern with round? Gobblers don't much care, if ya can call one in they thinking about other things and couldn't care less what ya shoot em with :idunno: .

I've had very good patterns with heavi-shot, although it looks awful (that's using plastic wads designed for it).

I really like Nice-Shot, which is round (but the patterns aren't better than Hevi-Shot).

Bismuth-tin alloy shot and NiceShot are available from Precision Reloading in the U.S. and Wil Bilozir in Canada. Both types have round pellets, and list hardnesses in the range of wheel-weight to Linotype lead alloys. NiceShot is also available from the manufacturer (EcoTungsten). ITX Original-10 shot are belted spheres but don't list a specific hardness, and are available from Ballistic Products. They list densities of 9.6g/cc for BiSn, 10.0g/cc for ITX, and 10.2g/cc for NiceShot; all claim to be soft enough to be safe for older barrels and thin-wall chokes; and all have been used without special bore/shot protection. Searches of these forums will produce numerous discussions concerning their use.

Regards,
Joel

Around the end of February, you should go to Wally World, and see if they are marking down their modern, bismuth, shotshells. I normally buy my waterfowl shells for the coming goose season in February or March for use in September. I know they drop the prices on steel shot perhaps you can get a good deal on bismuth.
You can harvest the bismuth from them and use them in your BP smoothbore.

You might also check with a local gunshop and see if they might have some shotshells that have been turned by owners who sold used shotguns. Most of the gunshops out there won't even think about reselling the shells as they don't know if there has been any tampering. IF you get to know the owner, and if the owner isn't planning on using the shells for personal waterfowling, the owner might trust you that you are going to harvest the shot.

LD

Looks like Nice-shot has become pretty scarce. I see precision reloading is offering their own brand of Bismuth shot. But they don't give much info regarding density, hardness, or shot size recommendations. Does anyone have any info on Precision Bismuth?

ITX shot from Ballistic Products is what I use for ducks.It's soft and almost as heavy as lead.It is round and has a raised sphere around each shot to aid in penetration.It comes in 2,4,and 6 shot.It is 153.00 for 7lbs.

hunts4deer said:
Does anyone have any info on Precision Bismuth?
As far as I know, Eley in the U.K. is the only `licensed producer of bismuth shot at the present - they make everyone's shot. The properties should be the same for all commercial Bi/Sn shot: nominally 3% Sn alloy, 9.69g/cc, 18 BHN.

Regards,
Joel

Back