• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Other trophy's..meatless outcome

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
RB you'd be proud of me..yep no alarm... just got up and did my usual Gentelman's hunt :grin:
Day started at 0 degrees high of 14 by mid afternoon.5-6inches of fresh powder snow...The sun is starting to gain some heat which made for a warm hunt.
001-1.jpg

Saw one large Fox squirrel..moving through the tree tops over my back shoulder..not much game movement...No wind ...just a beautiful day to be in the woods..
Lot's of deer sign..which is encouraging :thumbsup: .

Spent 4 hours sitting..slow..slow moving almost like a slow motion scout..

014-1.jpg

..eyed a wasps next about 25 feet in the air...20 yards away..(picture light bulb going on)I'm thinking wadding for smoothbore....1/4 inch branch holding for a base.....No ladders around guess I'll just have to try out my shooting skills...3 shots later I dead center the 1/4 inch branch..cool till it falls 4 feet to another...Rat's 4 shots latter it drops to the next....running low on powder now..time to warm up my Aron Roger skills..found a stout short branch and started doing my best imitation..now picture this ..I had a path worn through the snow fetching that stick after each throw..... till I finally knocked it free...Some trophy's you just can't eat.
015-1.jpg

Small game is just more fun!....

Now THAT's a fun trip! Some things you just can't imagine doing during a deer hunt.....yep, small game hunting is fun in all sorts of ways.

Thanks for sharing Dan. :thumbsup:

Skychief.

PS: Loved the pictures.

Thanks Sky..would love to see some bunny hunting pic's too!..Your younger than me :shocked2: :hmm: you should be able to figure out how to send pic's by now! :rotf: That or sweet talk the Miss's into it! :wink:

Good shootin' Dan! :thumbsup:

Look out when them hornets start to thaw tho... they ain't gonna be happy! :shocked2: :haha:

Cool beans! Kinda like going salmon fishing up here and coming home with a hat full of mushrooms.

I'll toss in some unsolicited advice if you haven't played with wasp nests before. Don't let it warm up in your house. I'd tell you the story about a great big baldfaced hornets nest, but you'll have more fun imagining about a thousand of those vicious suckers flying free in a house. Egad.

Jethro224 said:
Good shootin' Dan! :thumbsup:

Look out when them hornets start to thaw tho... they ain't gonna be happy! :shocked2: :haha:

Good advice Jethro..Thanks..It'sitting on the make shift work bench in the garage..which I use to pour rb's-render bear fat -rebuild go-devil mud motors at the moment. This Hornets nest(not wasps) nest has the most beautiful tan gray swirl color to it with oak leafs blended in..will try to keep the reclaimed wadding intact as possible.

BrownBear said:
Cool beans! Kinda like going salmon fishing up here and coming home with a hat full of mushrooms.

I'll toss in some unsolicited advice if you haven't played with wasp nests before. Don't let it warm up in your house. I'd tell you the story about a great big baldfaced hornets nest, but you'll have more fun imagining about a thousand of those vicious suckers flying free in a house. Egad.

BB..Thanks for the tip..
.Would love to find some mushrooms!..My luck they'd be the kind turns my brain into mush! :haha:

Grey Whiskers said:
Hey, who'd ya steal that knife from? :haha:

Lonehunter( Grasshopper) has been taught well!Just wonder how big of a stick Wick had to use on him! :rotf:

That's a big AMEN, and he would not want to be shooting at it in warm weather !!

wasp nest--just a little off subject--I bought a set of racing exhaust headers from Mo. a couple years ago. They had been hanging in this guys barn since 1964, he boxed them up and sent them to Ca. along with a nest of wasp. I got home late from work, grabbed the box off the front porch and headed for the garage--wait for it---that's right, closed the garage door and tore open that box like my first Christmas present-surprise--you know the rest-Leebone

Back