• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Out with the .62

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After the struggle with the Bess I took the .62 and I am once more convinced it is the better choice!

Local grain growers are at me to slaughter the rabbits, I don't want to do that so this is my limit today!

B.

A wonderful day afield, indeed! :hatsoff:

What's your favorite bunny recipe? I haven't shot very many, and like to simply quarter them and flour/fry then serve with some chicken gravy. I'm not much of a cook. :haha:

Recently I have been cooking them this way (real easy).

Chop some smokey bacon and fry.
Add chopped rabbit.
Add ground black pepper.
When happy add wine, turn heat down.
Now chop a pepper or two and add.
Add a lid and a drop of wine to steam the pepper.

Now mix corn flower with milk and add to the mix stirring in, to thick! Add more milk.

Turn heat low.

Easy and adaptable :thumbsup:

B.

Britsmoothy said:
Recently I have been cooking them this way (real easy).

Chop some smokey bacon and fry.
Add chopped rabbit.
Add ground black pepper.
When happy add wine, turn heat down.
Now chop a pepper or two and add.
Add a lid and a drop of wine to steam the pepper.

Now mix corn flower with milk and add to the mix stirring in, to thick! Add more milk.

Turn heat low.

Easy and adaptable :thumbsup:

B.

How about a photo to show the dish ready to be served. I'm on a diet and have to solve my cravings visually.

I eat a lot of cottontails and when the 6 pcs are served , they're recognizable as rabbit.

I normally braise rabbits and don't "camoflage" the meat w/ a whole lot of seasonings.....just salt, pepper, garlic and some onions.

I know a few hunters who only eat venison in sausage and also use it in chili.... the spices in both foods camouflage the taste of the venison. But...perhaps their venison needs some camouflaging due to poor field dressing and post kill care.

Never ate chopped rabbit as you describe in your recipe.....do you know you're eating rabbit? If someone who didn't know the meat was rabbit, would he/she recognize it as rabbit?

Just "funning".....never heard of a dish w/ chopped rabbit.....Fred

The Baron said:
What's your favorite bunny recipe? I haven't shot very many, and like to simply quarter them and flour/fry then serve with some chicken gravy. I'm not much of a cook. :haha:

Someplace in the cooking forum here you will find my post on Jugged Rabbit. I used Jack rabbit (considered by many to be uneatable)It went over well with a bunch of guys at work.

Didn't mean to infer that you "masked" the flavor of game animals. Is "chopped rabbit a popular dish?

Are the "rabbits" shown in your photo rabbits or hares and do they have white tails? They look larger than our cottontails.

Have hunted and eaten a whole lot of snowshoe hares which turn white in the winter except for the tips of the ears. These are as large as 3 kilo, but don't taste as good as cottontails...even the young showshoes are stronger tasting.

I trap the cottontails in the winter and the neighbors w/ gardens are thankful.

Thanks for sharing the recipe...will have to try it.....Fred

Spikebuck said:
Nice batch of rabbits.

The other day you posted about problems...now a big batch of rabbits. Every hunting day is a new one! :hatsoff:
The problems I have are with the 750" Bess. It needs a huge amount of shot and powder to do the same as this .62" at the same distances.
I was hoping the Bess would be just as good and the lock is good but contrary to most folks saying it will still work with an ounce of shot it certainly is not my findings!

B.

Do you guys age the hares/ rabbits after the hunt?
I get complements every year about my venison. It gets hung 3/4 days, then cut into quarters and into a game fridge 3/4 days, then butchered and vacuum sealed on the 6th to 8th day. Very tender, very un-gamey. Super tender.
You guys age the rabbits?

Ames said:
Do you guys age the hares/ rabbits after the hunt?
I get complements every year about my venison. It gets hung 3/4 days, then cut into quarters and into a game fridge 3/4 days, then butchered and vacuum sealed on the 6th to 8th day. Very tender, very un-gamey. Super tender.
You guys age the rabbits?
Often yes, depending on temps.
In cold temps up to a few or five days.

B.

Back