• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62 Rifle Build, 2nd Try

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been sighting in and load developing my new .62 rifled “British Carbine” at home, and I am so surprised at how well I can shoot with it. Below is my target- 3 of 4 rounds in the 10x.
It has an Ed Rayl barrel with round-bottom rifling with a 1/72" twist.
I use 80 grains of Scheutzen 2F powder and a .610 cast round ball with spit-patch of .018 pillow ticking.
I have it sighted in for 5O yards (I can actually hit the 10X at that distance with this gun!).
Yesterday I went to a range with my buddies, and wanted to see how it did at the 100 yard mark.
Sure enough, without changing my sight picture or load, I had shot consistently in the black, with several shots in or touching thr 10 ring! There is no drop from 50 to 100 yards!
On a whim I decided to try a shot at the 200 yard target, a man-size metal torso and head metal gong. I aimed about 6 inches above the fellow ( resting my rifle across a box). My gun fired but I heard no hit. At first. About three seconds later I hear the thud as the ball smacked that steel!
I repeated this twice more with the same results. When I saw the target, I could see the three splatter marks in the lower third of the torso. I guess the ball dropped about 24 inches or so at 200 yards.
I was so surprised at what I was able to do with the rifle and have determined that this gun with its Ed Rayl barrel is the best muzzleloading rifle I have ever shot.
That's truly wonderful. Very happy for you.

Latest posts

Back