• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Over the counter Western tags.?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
To make a long story short, my contract for teaching has not been renewed for this academic year. I have been applying here in my home state of Massachusetts for the whole summer but it is pretty tough. So far nothing has come up.

A close friend said that this may be an opportunity in disguise. I love teaching but it can be a pain with the time of year. The busiest time of year for me is the fall and it coincides with hunting season. I have always wanted to hunt out West and had so far only hunted varmints such as prairie dogs on summer vacations. I did about 12 years ago did a guided hunt for antelope on private land in New Mexico. That season was the third week of August and I was able to do it.

Anyways. Unless things change in the next three or four weeks, I will be out of work for a long time. This may be an opportunity for me to do a Wyoming hunt for something like antelope.

Does the state of Wyoming have over the counter tags for some game? I know that there is a drawing in Febuary or March for most game, but I thought I read somewhere that you can still get some over the counter tags?

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

I found left over tags,but it says most are on private land,I may be wrong though.Not sure if they have over the counter.Check it out. http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/hunting/license/leftover/index.asp

I don't know for sure in Wyoming, but in MT you can buy over the counter "surplus" tags for Antelope and Whitetails, they are limited to Doe tags however. I have been doing this for the last few years, I draw a Muley tag and then go hunting, if it is over early I will buy some surplus tags. Call the WY state DNR and ask, that is what I do for MT. FWIW.

good luck

Wyoming does have what they call a "General" lisence. You can buy some tags over the counter. Here in Sheridan county the hardest part of the hunt is finding a place to hunt. There are a lot of walk in areas that are good. You can buy four tags for doe/fawn whitetails here and hunt them. I think the tags are $23.00-ish each for non resident. The # to the local fish and game is(307)672-7418. The lady to talk to is Pam. You can also ask about the landowners that put their name on a list to have hunters come out and shoot deer. There are way too many whitetail deer here. The unit you want is 23.

$23 for a non resident white tail.Did I read that right?Non resident mulie tag here is around $250.

Back