• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

P-Dogs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruzer1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody else here ever hunt prairie dogs with muzzleloaders?

Me, my father in law and his rancher friend practiced shooting prairie dogs about two winters ago. It was a blast. Although I was the only one shooting traditional (with my 1861 springfield) the other two guys were shooting open sights.

I have to say seeing a .58 cal bullet impact with one of those critters was cool. They both thought my traditional rifle would not be accurate enough. Should have seen their eyes when I almost hit one at 300 yards (not quite a hit but made the critter jump, lol!)

Once in a while I have helped guide hunts for P-dog hunters. They are all into really expensive set ups - kind of surprises them we shoot some with open sighted smokepoles :)

Never shot them with a muzzleloader just a 243 remington 700 tactical thats was fun, I shot a few ground hogs (targets or oportunity) with the muzzleloader while walking from the woods deer hunting there a fun way to discharge the gun.

Kinda like rabbit/squirrel, I was raised to eat what you shoot if it's not a predator,varmit or home invader lol. I think the rule was started in my house cause as a kid I shot a lot of small critters and my dad got tired of finding places to dump the bodies lol.

I was also raised with that rule. It was instituted imediatly after I went to town on the local bully with my BB gun. The sherrif showed up and siezed my BB gun and he told me off. In my defence I didn't like the idea that my brother and I should have to suffer through the bully picking on us.
That kid never showed his face on our side of the block from that day on.
:grin:

Mine was after a particularly successful day of hitting starlings in the head and seeing them hang upside down on the phone lines. there were about 30 of them hanging outside the house for about 3 days before they started falling off the phone line lol. My grandfather was not amused.

There are varmint around here- there holes will break livestock legs.

Not to many people eat them on account of the plague and all. Lakota used to eat them. My rancher friend has eaten one and is not impressed :)

I don't get into them big- I'm kind of like you - if you don't eat why bother. But we were going out right before he was going to poison them. ".58 cal lead "poisoning was probably a more humane death.

Not P-dogs but lots of woodchucks.

When a 54 or 58 hits them they sure do roll aways.

Good practice for stalking and shooting deer, if you can sneek up on a chuck, then hit his head, a deer is easy.

P.S. chucks taste good, think of a fat monster rabbit

i shoot them with my flint .32 and it is challenging but i find it better than using my ruger .22 that i grew up on. it just seems to easy with a .22

Back