• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pa. Early Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucktales

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Any Members hunt Pa early season?
I'm thinking of bagging regular season (I usually hunt 2nd week), and going in Oct. instead.
I realize it's an anything goes ML season but I am wondering if it's worth it. How's the hunting pressure? I usually like to go in "deep" anyways. I'll be using my cappers and hopefully a flinter by then.

BTW, I've been "Pottering" in 3A more years than I care to remember. :haha:

It's doe only. You need a doe tag for the WMU yer in and a muzzleloader stamp. Inlines are allowed all 7 days. Jr and Sr license holders can carry centerfire the last 3 days. Hunting pressure is light. I have to chuckle as every year it seems I have an eyeball to eyeball encounter with a protected buck.

Yep, that may be the deal breaker.
300 miles is a ways to drive for a doe. :haha: Still up in the air when I'll go. Pressure is usually light second week of regular season (at least where I hunt) and I use my ML's during that season. And there's always Dec 26.

I also see the game commission made some changes with doe applications and dates for applying.

I've hunted that early season a bunch. Usually in 2f area. (kane Pa ) . The pressuure is light and its a beautiful time to spend time in the woods. The past three years though I haven't been able to get a doe tag for that area. They are sold out to the residents before the nons get a crack at them. I'll still keep trying though. I love that season. I usually see more deer during that season than I do in regular season.

fort fireman said:
I've hunted that early season a bunch. Usually in 2f area. (kane Pa ) . The pressuure is light and its a beautiful time to spend time in the woods. The past three years though I haven't been able to get a doe tag for that area. They are sold out to the residents before the nons get a crack at them.

2F has an allocation of 28,000 doe tags. Your timing must be really bad if you can't score a tag in any WMU in the state, even if you are an out-of-stater.

WILD, it is very hard to get a tag for that area.I have too rely on my buck tag for late season in that area,and get doe tags for 2a

That 2F area has been sold out the past three years before the out a staters even get a shot at them. This year I may have a better chance at getting that WMU or one around it. We'll just have to see. I'll keep my fingers crossed. The big thing is I want to hunt with my dad. I bust my butt to make it up there for the first week of deer and spring gobbler. I would rather hunt with him and the guys at camp for only buck than go somewhere else by myself. :grin: Its more of a tradition and time in the woods than getting a deer. I'm still gonna make it for the post christmas flintlock season so its all good!! :grin:

OK guys, good luck then. :thumbsup:
Another thought, is there a DMAP area near where you want to hunt? Those are generally overlooked early on. Check the PGC website when they go on sale. I usually buy a couple in addition to the normal doe tags.
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/

Yes, I hunt the early season. 2D and I use my Renegade in .54 percussion. This season gives me a reason to keep a caplock rifle in addition to my flintlocks. Pressure is light, leaves are thick. Fun though.

Got my licenses in the mail today.
Looks like they changed the looks of the license.
Got a lot of reading to do in order to figure out how to apply for a doe tag.
Just when I figgured out the "old" way, they go an change it. :( :haha:

You mail your completed application to one of the county offices in the book. Doesn't matter which one, as they can send you a tag from anywhere in the state. They'll use a computer to check for availability for the WMU your applying for, which is why you now put down 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice on your application.

I take the week off to bag a doe or 2 with my flinter in 3D or 3C in the early season. Then when NY rifle followed by PA rifle season come around I have meat in the freezer and can hold out for some nice horns. Hasn't worked out that way the last 2 seasons except for the early meat part, but its a good theory. Come rifle season I'm much more comfortable letting little bucks walk that I'd have shot if I didn't have the early season meat already.

Back