• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PA Hunter speaks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walks with fire

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a doe tonight. Shot was about 55 yards, offhand with a slightly quartering from the left. Hornady .490 ball over 90 grains of 2f Goex. The ball broke the left shoulder; no blood for the 50 yards it traveled. It would have been hard to find if there were no snow. I hope to be able to find the ball tommorow; It was dark when I hung it up. I couldn't find an exit hole but when I took the shot I was already thinking it wouldn't. I have never shot a deer face on like that and had an exit hole; centerfires included.

Grats. I'd kinda like to recover a ball some time too but they keep on zippin' right thru. The one time I did not get a pass-thru was one I shot with my Bess quartering to. That one musta stayed in the gut pile, never found it.

Good hunting, wish we could get some snow in deer season...we get it maybe every 10 or so years.need good blood, and sometimes good luck to find poorely shot animal. With out it....

Congratulations WWF!
:thumbsup:
My last deer hunt in November seems so long ago now...

It has been 2 weeks and that seems too long with today being the last day of season. I was hoping to go today but I will be laying a wood floor, butchering goats and watching the kids later. I have 4 deer this season and all but...I really want to get one with the black powder rifle. congrats

Back