• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Palmetto musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capt-pp

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for a Palmetto Armory musket with a rifled barrel. I can find the repro in smoothbore but I am not that good of a shot. Has anyone run across a repro of this gun?

You will not find a rifled Palmetto Armory M1842 musket. The reproductions that you are looking at are made in India and none of the Indian makers produce rifled barrels.

He might have to get a rifled '42 and a blank lockplate that can be stamped and some brass barrel bands and buttplate.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Just point me in the right direction. I have this great idea in my head and it is competing for space with both of my brain cells.

Saw a posting somewhere- on here I believe- a gentelman created his own Palmetto by buying a repo 1842 Springfield, bought the brass hardware from the The Rifle Shoppe, and found a Palmetto lock plate from Lodgewood.

deadahead said:
Saw a posting somewhere- on here I believe- a gentelman created his own Palmetto by buying a repo 1842 Springfield, bought the brass hardware from the The Rifle Shoppe, and found a Palmetto lock plate from Lodgewood.

Those are possible sources for the bands but no guarantee that they will fit on an Indian made musket since the Indian manufacturers don't take their patterns from original muskets. According to the guy at Loyalist who had the copy of the Austrian Lorenz made they send pictures and that is how they do the work, no guarantee of even being close to the original. That being said, it might be possible to strike the existing lock's markings and have it remarked by an engraver with good ability. Not as expensive as an original Palmetto plate but still pretty expensive.

What part of VA you in? I would forget the India mad junk. The Nssa Nationals are in Winchester in may I would make that trip and find what I want for a shooter. or ask on the Nssa Board someone may have one for sale.

Yea they wouldn't fit an Indian musket but they could fit an Armi Sport or Pedersoli 1842 musket.

59sharps said:
What part of VA you in? I would forget the India mad junk. The Nssa Nationals are in Winchester in may I would make that trip and find what I want for a shooter. or ask on the Nssa Board someone may have one for sale.

In the Heart of the Shenandoah Valley, not too far from Ft. Shenandoah. I agree with your assessment of the Indian "imitation guns".

Back