• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pan brush and measure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't have too many huntable white tails here, and it's been so long since I shot a buck, I don't have access to the hair.
I'll shop around.

My brush was made by a friend who used an antler tine, bored out, in which he took some synthetic bristles from a paint brush, cut them off, put epoxy into the bottom of the bored hole, stuck as many of the bristles in to the hole that he could fit. When the glue dried, he cut of the ends of the bristles so are all the same length. I have had the brush for more than 30 years, and when folks ask where I got the bristles, I tell them from a wild boar. I have never been questioned further about that. There are natural fiber bristles on brushes you can still buy, if you really want to be that PC.

My bristles stand out from the handle about 1/2-3/4". The short bristles make short work of wiping the pan.

However, I rarely use the brush anymore. It does Not clean the powder residue out of the pan, nor does it clean off the residue on the underside of the frizzen, above the pan. if you don't remove that residue, it sucks up water from the air, and can foul your priming charge, no matter how much care you take in keeping rain out of the flash pan.

I find that using a cleaning patch, dampened lightly with spit, to clean my pan and frizzen, and flint of residue is fast, efficient, thorough, and I can use the other side of the patch to wipe down the bore before loading the next powder charge( FRUGAL!- I said, "FRUGAL"! :grin: :shocked2: :haha: )

When I used the pan brush, I created a dirty little tool that then transferred BP residue to everything it touched, and is very difficult to clean, short of using soap and water. I tired of having to clean the inside of my pouch, where the brush is kept, on a chain, when not in use.

I now carry a bag for trash in my pouch, and a towel in a large pocket to wipe off my hands, and the ramrod, short starter, and barrel, to reduce the amount of dirt I get all over my clothes.

I only take the brush and vent pick( on the other end of the chain) out when doing public demonstrations, or marching in parades in costume. :surrender: :hmm: :thumbsup:

paulvallandigham said:
I find that using a cleaning patch, dampened lightly with spit, to clean my pan and frizzen, and flint of residue is fast, efficient, thorough, and I can use the other side of the patch to wipe down the bore before loading the next powder charge( FRUGAL!- I said, "FRUGAL"! :grin: :shocked2: :haha: )

So little Johnnie is in class and they're trying to increase everyone's vocabulary, and the teacher is trying to explain the meaning of frugality, so she gets all exasperated and gives up, saying it means "to save."

Now, little Johnnie, use the word in a sentence...

"Well, there's this fair maiden in a tower and she'll have to marry this ugly rich friend of her evil step sister, but the valiant knight comes by on his trusty steed and she leans out the window and cries 'FRUGAL ME, OH! PLEASE, FRUGAL ME!!' "

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

(sorry- but i couldn't resist: i'm going to Pun Hell when i die anyway, and how often do you get such a wonderful straight line?)

That's probably better than if the damsel hollers out the window, " Cheep, Cheep". ( Homonym to "Cheap".) :bow:

mudd turtle said:
Where do you get natural fibers for the brush. Mudd Turtle. :surrender:
For those of you who have a Curling Club near by.....those "brooms" used to sweep the ice ahead of the stones are natural bristle. The bristles are also pretty much the size you need for a pan brush, both in diameter and length. Scope out a dumpster there as there will often be discarded brooms in it. If the bristles start to loosen up or fall out, the broom is discarded as even a single hair lying on the ice can really screw up the stone movement! :nono:

Where do you get natural fibers for the brush. Mudd Turtle.

as Wick noted horsehair works great and can be purchased at various sources including Crazy Crow in bundles large enough for several brushes.

For Hog bristles keep an eye out for old hair brushes and shaving brushes at the second hand store.

Lots of made in china "bristle" brushes sold as throw-aways for stain or in housewares at wally world for brushing butter on stuff. Might work.

If you can't find an old hairbrush in an antique store, or the Salvation Army stores( thrift stores), try looking at catalogs( websites )and large sporting goods stores, that sell natural fibers for use in making Flies, for Fly-fishing.

If you have a local fur-buyer who buys the furs that trappers have to sell from working their traplines every winter, he can also be a good source for natural fibers. Guard hairs from Porcupine, Raccoon, and some of the canine species can be used to make small brushes.

Artist supply stores, found near universities with Art Departments( Fine and Applied Arts), also carry these kinds of materials, because paint artists( watercolor, oil, and acrylic) seem to never find exactly the kind of brush they "need". :shocked2: :youcrazy: (I worked in such a store in 1968-69). :thumbsup:

FPDoc said:
Lots of made in china "bristle" brushes sold as throw-aways for stain or in housewares at wally world for brushing butter on stuff. Might work.
Does work. I have a couple of pan brushes made using pig bristles from paint brushes made in China. They are many years old and holding up very well.

Spence

Back