• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pan Prime... 3 or 4 F?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... but you have a third choice for priming, and that is Null B.

I can not comment accurately on Null B at this time. :( But Larry Pletcher has tested it. :thumbsup:

maybe he means Jack's Battle Powder?

anyway, I use 4F out of habit more than anything else ... tried 3F to prime and i couldn't tell the difference, and neither could my dreadful targets (i confess to not being a very good shot).

this doesn't mean it's a failure- it just means I don't shoot well enough to notice the difference.

If i were giving advice to a newbie, i'd say give the 4F a try and if you like it, stick with that. ... go with what works for you.

make good smoke!

ebiggs said:
You can use 2F, also, but why? :idunno:

Some guns have the touch hole at the bottom of the pan, 2f is less likely
to have a fuse effect, also it can trap/catch sparks that bounce off 4f.

I use whatever works for me. If I am hunting I tend to keep it as simple
as I can.

William Alexander

"... 2f is less likely
to have a fuse effect, ..."

That is because there is no fuse effect!

Tinker2 said:
ebiggs said:
You can use 2F, also, but why? :idunno:

Some guns have the touch hole at the bottom of the pan, 2f is less likely
to have a fuse effect, also it can trap/catch sparks that bounce off 4f.

I use whatever works for me. If I am hunting I tend to keep it as simple
as I can.

William Alexander

In actual timed testing of priming FF is far slower (relatively) than FFFF.

Dan

Tinker2 said:
Some guns have the touch hole at the bottom of the pan,

William Alexander
If this is the case then by all means get your dremmel out and deepen your pan.
your prime needs to be level with the bottom of your vent for fast consistant ignition.

I was just attempting to answer the question
“You can use 2F, also, but why?”

Dan

Yes 4f is faster then 2f or 3f.
If my guns are working as they should on the target range, they fire
instantaneously to me with any of them.

Greenmtnboy

I like my vent covered mostly by my frizzen.

Tinker2

For me hunting in very cold weather, I live in the Dakotas, 4f can clump
up in the spout of the pan charger and in the pan and the sparks can
bounce off the frozen prime, with the larger 2f there are more holes/air
spaces in the prime that can catch and hold a spark in the prime. Maybe
not so instantaneous but it is more likely to go off.

William Alexander

If I may enter a tip when shooting a flint action the powder for the pan must be fine (when i was first in to shooting a flint could not find fine enough powder,so i took a tablespoon of 2-3F put it on a plate of glass and took a water glass to roll it to a powder)to keep safe never crush any more BP that you want to go off;you be the judge on this practice.
now you have a fine powder ;find a small nasal sprayer that is empty fill it.when you want to prime just woof a bit in the pan,and if hunting with a flint or percussion ,for days you leave your gun loaded to ensure it goes off,take out the drum screw on the percussion use a nipple pick (aka welding tip cleaner)clean out the hole than woof in some fine powder replace the drum screw and it will shoot same goes for flint clean out the torch hole put in new powder and you able to shoot hope this is a help ;;Hangfire tips

Back