• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Panther hunters tent ( Pyramid)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting a camp together for longhunter rendezvous.

Im looking at the Panther pyramid with fly, floor, and stove hole insert. 7x7

Camp must fit in a four door jeep. Trying to keep it minimal. Girlfriend is going so no diamond shelter.

Rendezvous is not jurried. I'm just wanting to fit in.

Any advice on this tent. It's a 4 month wait. I need it by the end of October. I need to order soon

Panther has gone under. 7x7 is tight for a 6' tall person. 10x10 is comfy with outside poles. 12x12 is luxury even with one pole, which is what we've had for over 30 years.

Panther has gone under. 7x7 is tight for a 6' tall person. 10x10 is comfy with outside poles. 12x12 is luxury even with one pole, which is what we've had for over 30 years.
I've had the Panther Primitive hunters tent for over 25 years. It's the 12'x12" with the fly and a 3" stove pipe insert. It is very well made. Mine is still in very good condition. I usually use the 2 pole set-up but bring a center pole just in case. I also had a 12'x12' center pole Marquee made by Panther that was really easy to set up. Wish I still had it. You probably won't be able to get a new Panther anymore but if you can find a used one they are well worth it.

With a 7x7 you will want to haul two poles. and rig it thus...,

RIGGING SMALL PYRAMID TENT.jpg

With the smaller tents with no flat sides, the you keep bumping into the center pole, so rig two as shown, either shorter poles and on the inside or two longer poles and on the outside, and you feel like there is more useful room. You can rig a A tent with four supports, all internal, one pole per corner leading up to the ridge pole and get more useful space out of them too.

LD

I would agree with @rp77469 that a 7x7 would be tight for a 6' person. I have a Panther Primitives 12x12 Pyramid that I've used for years and works great hauling it in an '06 Rubicon. If there is a pole on site, I use it in the center with me on one side and gear on the other or even with two people there is plenty of space or can hang the center top from a tree in place of the center pole. I have thought about rigging a way to take the center pole with me as it works great as a place to hang gear and what not at the end of the day.

Panther has gone under, tent smith is just as good
A 7 foot hunter or pyramid tent a six foot guy will be touching shoulders with the edges when standing in the center
May I suggest a wedge.
A nine footer will be more than enough room for two and too much gear.
You can be private, even have a stove in it for cold, and a double door can be opened on the side giving you a fly by day
And you will never have to worry about it being acceptable to any camp from pilgrim to cowboy
Mine is 7 foot but I camp alone
IMG_6482.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6963.jpeg
    10.4 MB · Views: 0
A 7 foot hunter or pyramid tent a six foot guy will be touching shoulders with the edges when standing in the center
May I suggest a wedge.
You can be private, even have a stove in it for cold, and a double door can be opened on the side giving you a fly by day
And you will never have to worry about it being acceptable to any camp from pilgrim to cowboy
Mine is 7 foot but I camp aloneView attachment 317984

May I suggest a wedge.
Mine is 7 foot but I camp aloneView attachment 317984
Thanks for all the information. I placed an order for a 14x9 wedge from Tentsmiths today. I can't get everything in the jeep. I'm just going to buy a small trailer.

I had a Panther 12x12 I used for many years and loved it. Very well made. But, keep in mind, the sides are slanty and that means usable floor space is limited. To do again, I would not go smaller than 12x12 with larger being desirable. My set up was always only one pole inside. An exterior two pole would, of course give greater mobility inside but I used the one pole inside for extra duty. e.g. I drilled holes in it and cold forged hooks to hang items such as my shooting and possible bags and at night a candle lantern. Your transportation issue is understandable. But a pole can be made sectional using tubing to assemble. e.g. drill holes in the tubes to secure and make the connecting pins double duty as I described. Good luck.

I used to curse the single pole setup even in a 12' because it got in the way sometimes. I now need it to help get out of bed since I got old and decrepit. At raindezvous I stay dry and warm with a candle lantern or two and read or craft and listen to folks gripe as they slosh by the lodge in the rain. I'm old. BTDT multiple times over the decades. I even built a chair and table for wet days that work well in the 12x12 and can be folded up if needed. I really like the Panther waterproof floor layered on top of: fire ant killer, plastic GC, then floor. Makes a big difference in the number of fire ants that want to camp with me.

I cannot fathom anyone in this hobby who does not have a pickup truck. Life is so much more simple with one, at least in Texas.

Back