• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper Patch Bullet information

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannonball1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I need some information to you long time paper patch bullet shooters. I have gone from a .441 bullet to a .442 bullet and a 20# single wrap square cut computer paper patch over 70 grain of BP. I am also using a polywad over the powder. This last time at the range I shot three shots at 100 yards and got a less than 1" group with the computer paper and a 5 shot group at 1 1/8"I can't even come close to that with my 270 Browning.

Needless to say I have found my group, with this exception: I have been told and have read that computer paper has clay which is abrasive. Some go on to say I will wear out my barrel, others say it is so small it would take thousands of shots to create a problem and just shoot and don't worry. Is there an experienced person that can shed some light on the subject.

Printer or copier paper can contain a host of things, besides plant material. China clay, calcium carbonate, rosin, alum, starch etc. It all depends on the grade of the paper.

A good ink-jet paper tends to have more cotton in it than a "bond" paper and might be better for what you want, but check the composition if you can.

Just make sure you don't use a "photo" or "coated" paper.

I don't think any clay in the paper would cause any harm to the bore of a rifle.

Without a doubt, any clay that might be in the paper would be an exceptionally finely ground material which if anything could be thought of more as a polishing compound rather than an abrasive meant to remove material.

Rather like the clay bars used to make a mirror like gleam on custom, high dollar paint jobs on custom cars.

colorado clyde said:
How do you paper patch a round ball?....

Personally, I use onionskin typewriter paper and dip the ball end in melted beeswax.

nSi3qxF.jpg

Bring up the photo....above all the link codes is a blue button that says "View and edit post"...click it. hover your cursor over the picture and the copy cod will appear followed by a check mark in the upper right hand corner of the photo....hover over the check mark.....edit image will appear ....The sizes will appear in the upper right hand corner of the picture .....you can change them and then click apply and save.

Here is Claude's explanation...
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/304485/

yvVxL1J.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
colorado clyde said:
How do you paper patch a round ball?....
I don't.

The only bullets I paper patch are special bullets made for paper patching.

They are both made for a .40 caliber barrel and made undersized to allow for the thickness of the paper. They also have a cavity in the base to fold the twisted paper tail into.

I use paper from a dress pattern which measures about .001 thick and I apply two layers of this to the slug.

The paper is first dampened with water and then one end is held against the outside of the bullet while rolling the slug along the papers length.

The ends of the paper are cut on an angle and the length of the paper strip is cut so that the ends almost meet.

This essentially gives the bullet a two layer thickness around its circumference.

After the paper is rolled onto the slug, it is allowed to dry.

In drying, it shrinks making a skin tight layer, adding .0040 to the finished bullet diameter.
This gives the .395 diameter bullet a finished diameter of .3990 without resizing.

The two bullets are a 300 grain (the box says they are 330 grain) and a 400 grain round nose style made by Montana Precision Swaging.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/...patch-unpatched-round-nose-cup-base-box-of-50

(I bought these a number of years ago and they may be out of business now although Midway still shows them.)

I shoot these in my Schuetzen which has a barrel made by Phil Quaglino (who was a good friend of Paul Vallandigham's).
It has a bore of exactly .4000" diameter with a twist of 1:18. The grooves are .0015 deep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back