• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pardon the newbie's questions...FFg in a C & B?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longlever

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello! I recently purchased a Colt Navy .36 caliber revolver from Cabelas. I have a couple questions about the type and amount of powder to use. The manual from Pietta says to use between 9 and 12 grains of FFFg. The supplement Cabelas included with the pistol says you can load up to 22grains!!! This seems to be a pretty glaring contradiction. Any thoughts on this? The other question I have is, will it do any harm to use FFg BP instead of FFFg? My guess is that I'll simply have more fouling, and/or possibly an incomplete or non-uniform burn. I have a large supply of FFg on hand for loading my Martini-Henrys, but do not have access to FFFg (no retailers in my area will carry, or order black powder, and I'm not interested in Clear Shot, or Pyrodex, thank you). I don't want to buy a large order of it either, like I have to do with my FFg (25lbs, minimum order from Track of the Wolf). Also, I need to know what size of nipple to use, as the manual does not specify. I'd appreciate hearing about your personal favorite performers. Thanks!
Jason
www.martinihenry.com

Many local gun/sport shops will carry one pound cans.

Ive always been told the FFF/FF break was at 50 cal.

I use FFF in my 45 cals.

About two years ago, I spent the whole day calling every local gun and sporting goods store listed in the yellow pages here in the Sacramento, CA area. To my utter befuddlement, NONE stocked black powder, and none would order Black Powder. Most parroted some blather about troubles involved in storing it, and low demand. Most of these stores had substitutes on hand (wildly overpriced, might I add) but as I indicated, I don't have any interest in using them. In my opinion, using them is akin to taking a shower while wearing a raincoat.

Does anybody know of an internet/mailorder source that will ship orders smaller than 25lbs?

Thanks,
Jason

You will do the gun no harm in using 2F but you will get less velocity than 3F. The manual from Pietta was probably written by their lawyers. I use the most I can get in the cylinder with a greased felt wad underneath the ball - 22 grs is about right.

When you say nipple, I assume you are asking what size cap. I use Remington #10 on my Uberti but you may want to experiment - #11 is considered standard. Pick a brand that will stay on with hard carrying and under recoil.

You may also want to read the "Chainfire" thread elsewhere in this forum. Don't be frightened by all the responses - there is a lot of good information in the various replies.

I've shot C&B revolvers for many years and enjoy them tremendously - they are not toys but capable of good accuracy and hunting potential. Have fun... :grey:

Oh, yes, good gravy, I meant to say "cap", not "nipple". Freudian slip there. Ha, ha. Thanks for the great info fellas. I'll check into the sources for 5lb BP orders. Thanks so much!

longlever: :imo: you can't overload a Civil War Style Cap and Ball pistol unless it is a brass framed gun.
Even with the brass framed gun, you can't get it to "blow up", but you can damage the brass frame with hot loads.

C&B guns sometimes shoot better with lighter loads but the fact that the chamber will only hold so much powder plus a round ball or a conical bullet automatically limits how much powder can be used.

Note, I am speaking of black powder or one of the Black powder substitutes.
There have been cases of people loading the chamber full of black colored smokeless powder and that, of course, did blow the gun up.

As for the light loads recommended by the manual, I think it's the lawyers talking. Not only that, but what they are suggesting can actually be more dangerous than loading the full charge.
Why? Because, if the ball is not seated down on top of the powder, leaving an airspace, it could (if Mars and the Moon are in the wrong place ::) create a bulged cylinder.

If you use one of those light loads, add some corn-meal or other filler on top of the powder so the ball compresses the charge. :m2c:

There is not a bit of problem with using FFg instead of FFFg.

Your gun "might" foul a little more, but pressures will also stay lower. Your velocities may suffer a little, and accuracy may (or may not) be of some consequence. So please do not worry--FFg will not harm your gun.

You may have to look at the loading data from the two different sources and just throw in a healthy dose of common sense. FYI, I've never worn out a brass framed gun that I was "careful with about loading too heavily".

As far as the correct caps to use? Typically #11 are recommended for most cap-n-ball revolvers, but your's may require #10, it just depends on how well they fit the nipples. Since you have a powder granulation/type supply issue--how is the supply of various sizes of percussion caps in your location?

You were wise enough to seek help before you just went ahead on your own, and that in itself indicates that you are a careful shooter. I think you ought to do just fine.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly :front:

Back