• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parker double shotgun value

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eka

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Now here is something I have no experience with what so ever. A friend brought me a Parker black powder double barreled shotgun. The overall condition probably rates between poor and fair. It looks to be pretty old and mostly original. The barrels are browned and appear to be in pretty good condition. The bores are dark, dirty, and a little rusty but appear to be fairly smooth. The part on the bottom of the barrels that holds the wedge pin has broken off, but he has the part. I assume it can be welded or soldered back on. The stock is pretty nice with checkering and furniture, but very dirty. It has some small cracks that do not appear to cause any structural issues. The hammers are loose and the lock works but definately needs a tune up. The nipples are replacements and don't seem to me to be the correct ones. The ramrod is missing. There are only three inscriptions on the gun. The name Parker on both sides of the receiver and "Laminated Steel" between the barrels near the nipples.
Now, having described the condition, what is the range of value on this piece? Is it a real Parker Bros. or most likely a copy? Is this gun best left as a neat wallhanger or worth putting some money into to bring it up to a shooter? I wouldn't think this gun was worth much more than $100, but I kinda hate to tell my buddy this without any real working knowledge of these guns.
Thanks in advance to any replies.

Keith

Even a wall hanger will bring around $300.00.
Parts man parts, the locks are worth $75.00 to $100.00
From your description--

eka,
I once read that if you feel the desire to shoot an original muzzleloader with damascus barrels (laminated) that you should go lay down until the feeling goes away. Too much chance of the welds in the chamber area having rusted through.
volatpluvia

This is from fuzzy memory, not a shotgun guy...

If a genuine USA made Parker Brothers it would most probably have the town & state (Connecticut ?) it was made in marked on the gun.

Look under the barrels where the forend normally is and see if there is an "ELG" or other markings to indicate Belgium utility grade import.

I think there is a Parker shotgun website you can google.

Also, if you go to
[url] http://www.antiqueguns.com[/url]

down a way on the homepage there is an "Ask The Experts" forum...
just click into that and post on the Shotgun forum. Give lots of information on all markings you find. Value is based on graded condition such as NRA standards. You do not need to do any joining or signup to post a question.

You will have an expert answer before too long.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen these Parker M/L shotguns in the past. They are low quality "hardware store" belgian and some times birmingham made guns. One in poor condition as described isn't worth much, $100 might be pushing it.

I agree with Mike here. I know a gentleman with a fine collection of quality Parker[url] shotguns.In[/url] answer to a query by me he advised that muzzle loading Parkers and those with damascus barrels were not nearly as valuable as those with their ORIGINAL STEEL BARRELS.Barrel swapping in which a steel barrel is married to a damascus gun is,unfortunately,all too often done and is a real pitfall for the uninformed and novice would be Parker collectors to avoid. As Mike has correctly pointed out,muzzle loading Parkers generally fall into the same category as other muzzle loading shotguns as to value.I realize that this sounds like heresy but that's life.
As always I welcome responsible conflicting opinions.
Tom Patton :v

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I wasn't too far off in my assessment of this piece. I appreciate the opinions and advice.
Regards,

Keith

Back