• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

parts source for CVA rifle kits(no ebay)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the very early CVA kent rifles had a very cheap lock. The percussion models used a bolster breech instead of a drum and nipple. The lock had no sear adjust screw, no fly no bridle. The barrels barely had scratches for rifling. About 1973 or 74, CVA switched to a drum and nipple for the percussion lock. The new lock had a sear adjust screw but no bridle or fly. Traditions still uses this lock for it's cheaper guns and pistols, although the lock plate decoration has changed and the lock is now rounded instead of pointed at the rear. When CVA switched over to the newer lock, they also began using some very good round ball barrels, which accounts for the reputation for accuracy. The older triggers were plain stamped steel. Somewhere along the line they switched to a fancier brass trigger with a little scroll hook at the end. When CVA came out with the Frontier rifle they used a lock that appeared identical but had a bridle and fly inside. When the Mountain rifle came out, it had a better improved lock.

The very first style CVA kentucky rifles are pretty rare. The earliest locks had very poorly heat treated internal parts.

A company named Markwell Arms continued to sell the cheaper style for a few years after CVA improved the model. I think CVA gets blamed for some of the Markwell Arms manure.

010-1-1.jpg

The lock on the tower pistol, upper gun is the first style percussion lock, The flint lock plate had the same general shape.

The Colonial Pistol lock is the second style that was used on the kentucky rifle from about 1973 on.

You know, buying up a bunch of parts for three incomplete guns can get expensive. Being the nice guy that I am, I will gladly accept one of those from you saving you the trouble, expense, and the worry that comes from another unfinished project looming over you. :grin:

Randy I know of no re-inactor groups for the time period I make and study, I'm comfortable with it all. The weapons and other accessories of the post-Civil War old west are rife with fur trade and 18th century items, among Indians many weapons and tools were passed from father to son. another example, and reason you find me showing up among muzzle loaders is the first federal gun control law from 1868 and pertaining to American indians.

The casual studier of that time has the entertainment industry to thank for the image of the Cheyenne walking around his village with a Winchester/Sharps/Spencer rifle and an expensive bowie/hunting knife. A law enacted in 1868 by the feds forbabe Indians from possessing, owning, using, any weapon that fired metallic cartridges.It also forbade any trading, selling, or otherwise provision of these weapons to Indians. It's true Sitting Bull owned a Winchester, tha vast majority of firearms that Indians possessed were flintlock and percussion muzzle loading weapons, into the 1890s. For cutlery the #1 trade item available to Indians were common kitchen cutlery. They were cheap and did the job.

Bones

Randy, thanks. Since Tipp closed I lost touch with the few I knew among the locals.

Bones

CS, my Plains carbine kit is complete, just located the missing parts. I think they are a good foundation to build on. The SHARPSHOOTER is junk, plastic parts in the sights and aluminum trigger group/guard, it is a good piece to cut down and make a shorty out of. I like the very plain, very trade-gun look and setup of the Ky rifle I want to complete. I'll get you sometime soon.

NG, you want to hear something obscene? I have a fourth rear stock, lock, and trigger guard for a CVA KY rifle kit. The shoulder stock has been cut down, foundation for another Blanket Gun?

Bones The Obscene.

Believe it or not Tony, I have an extra barrel in the closet that has been looking for a stock to call home! :haha:

Back