• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch & ball loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gru556

32 Cal.
Reaction score
1:48 twist 50 & 54 trying to find a consistent rnd ball target load.The 50 likes 70grn 2f p&b for a deer load but lacks the thread the needle type groups.Any idea?

Always helps to have the tightest ball & patch combo you can git. You might have to SMACK it perty hard with yer shortstarter to get it started...and maybe you can then up your charge to 90 or so grains.... :thumbsup:

I found an overpowder felt wad really tightened up my groups at 50-75 yards. The rifle shot well to begin with, but that extra touch got what I was looking for with a powder charge I wanted for hunting.

YOu will get more complete ignition of the FFg Goex powder if you us a OP wad, or filler under that PRB. Also, Using as tight a ball and patch combination improves accuracy. Try the .495, and even the .500 diameter balls to see if you get better accuracy. Wiht the OP wads or fillers, you may find you can reduce the amount of powder used and still get the same velocity, but less recoil.

When Hunting, use that tight ball for your first shot, when you have the time to load it properly before you leave camp or car. Carry the .490 balls and patching for reloads, ( in a ball block?) if needed, in the field. They are certainly accurate enough for a follow up, or Coup d'Grace shot on a downed deer.

Good hunting.

Sorry, I can't help you with a load for your .54, but you can use these same principles in establishing such a load for your gun. Many shooters here have recommended 70-90 grains of FFg or FFFg powder. Use what you barrel shoots the best for you. Start with the .530 ball, and then try the .535, or even a .540 ball in the gun to see if that doesn't improve your groups.

I have had good luck with wads also. You might give them a try.

You might try working up a load, starting at 50-60 grains for either gun and work up 5 grains at a time. Somewhere along the way, your groups should tighten up. Most of my .54s are 1/48 and they all seem to like loads in the 80-90 grain range.

Check your patches also. They shouldn't be burned or have any holes in them. If they do, that could be effecting your accuracy. The wads will usually end patch problems, but it's better to find the cause of the problem first. You might need to tinker with patch type and thickness to get the best accuracy. I switched from precut patches to pillow ticking material bought at Walmart. It's pretty tough patch material.

My .50 likes 70n grains also. I don't think I'll ever get the thread the needle thing, but on a good day a 10x comes along. Practice, practice , practice.

I use a wad of hornets nest over my powder and it works great.(you have to watch out for the hornets though). They actually seem to give me tighter groups than an op wad.

The Parson said:
I found an overpowder felt wad really tightened up my groups at 50-75 yards. The rifle shot well to begin with, but that extra touch got what I was looking for with a powder charge I wanted for hunting.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back