• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Box used for Patches!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBear

In Rmembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Over the years I've heard lots of debate, some of it right here, whether a patch box was indeed intended for patches.

Today I pulled a real boner and found the answer. I got a shot and went to reload, and discovered my strip of patching was still on the counter back home, right where I'd laid it when loading the rifle.

Now that little hinged metal thingy on the side of my butt stock has half a dozen lubed patches in it. :rotf:

BrownBear said:
Now that little hinged metal thingy on the side of my butt stock has half a dozen lubed patches in it.
You are now historically correct. :) "Travels Through the States of North America and the Provinces of Upper and Lower Canada, During the Years of 1795, 1796 and 1797", by Isaac Weld, Jr.

"The best of powder is chosen for the rifle barrel gun, and after a proper proportion of it is put down the barrel, the ball is enclosed in a small bit of linen rag, well greased at the outside, and then forced down with a thick ramrod. The grease and the bits of rag, which are called patches, are carried in a little box at the butt-end of the gun."

Spence

Thats what I was thinking Capper.
Probably how the infamous collection of shirt-tails began!

Durn, who'd a ever thought of putting patches and maybe some grease in sumthin called a "patch box"
:rotf:

CaptainKirk said:
You WERE wearing a shirt, right?
Problem solved...... :grin:

I only thought of that AFTER I pushed a bare ball down the bore for the followup. Ran into my hunting pard about then and borrowed one of his patches. Fortunately I was able to shake the ball out of the bore, since I'd left my ball puller at home too.

One of those days.... :idunno:

I carry a cleaning jag and ball screw in mine. I wrap them in a small piece of patch material. The patching keeps the hardware from rattling around in my stock. I might even need it for patching sometime. :grin:

I've always carried a pair of squishy plastic ear plugs in mine, cuzz I always seem to forget to have them in my truck or range box. Fat lotta good they did today! Live and learn.

FPDoc said:
You mean its not for cigs and gum and the truck keys?

Now that's a big patch box!

I'll probably never get away from home again without patches in my shooting bag, but if I do, all my patch boxes now contain patches. Dang. :slap:

And I thought it was for your cell phone! just joking. Seriously, I thought the traditional way was to cut patches at the muzzle.

dyemaker said:
And I thought it was for your cell phone! .........
I like that! Can't you just see that? All is quiet, you've been sitting there for what seems like half the day. Suddenly you hear a faint sound, something is moving towards you... just as you confirm the size and position of the deer..... Ring, ring ring. It's your cell phone in the patch box. You push the button, the cover snaps open. With the stock of the rifle to your ear you hear some ask if you want new windows installed in your house as the largest buck you've seen this year bounds out of sight.

The question is: Do you laugh or cry....

I owned a jeager rifle made in 1747, it had a patch box with a hidden latch the previous owner said the box was glued closed or something. well I found the hidden latch and opened it it had a vent pick 2 roundballs and a big stack of square linen patches keeeping everything in it's place.

dyemaker said:
And I thought it was for your cell phone! just joking. Seriously, I thought the traditional way was to cut patches at the muzzle.
"In Germany they fometimes charge them in the following manner : a piece of thin leather or fuftian is cut of a circular fhape, and fo large as to cover a little more than one half of the ball ; this piece is then greafed on one fide* and being placed over the muzzle, the ballball is laid upon it, and both thruft down together"

A N E S S AY O N SHOOTING.
PRINTED BY ZACHARIAH JACKSON, Ton CRUEBER, AND M'ALLIST ER, No. 59, DA ME-STREET. M.OCC.I.XXXIX

There are also records of the women at Ft. Boonesborough cutting patches for the riflemen if I am not mistaken.

An original gun was found a few years ago with balls in the patchbox that were pre-wrapped with the patching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Capt. Jas. said:
An original gun was found a few years ago with balls in the patchbox that were pre-wrapped with the patching.

I'm pretty sure the patch box on my 62 isn't deep enough for that, but my mind has been running along the same line. It would sure keep them from rattling around while being awfully handy.

That cell phone scenario has always been a secret fear of mine. When I hunt with my daughters, who view their cell phones as more imprtant than air, I make them show me their phone is off before we head out from camp. Fortunately, everywhere I hunt has has no coverage, at least at this date, but you never know when a freak stray signal may find our phones, or a forgotten alarm will go off at just the wrong moment.

As far as patch boxes, never found them to be very practical for my range and hunting uses. They certainly add to the gun's asthetic quality though. Bill

Latest posts

Back