• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patch, bullet lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumbs

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering what home brew patch bullet lube you guys are using? I have been using bees way and lanolin but am having a hard time finding lanolin. Anyway what are you guys using.

thanks

beeswax and olive oil
I use olive oil for cooking and I like to buy quality olive oil, but some time the quantity of premium olive that I must purchase goes stale before I can use it for cooking so I use it for patch lube and lamp oil.

Ok thanks. Hey can you give me an idea as to the amounts beeswax to olive oil and Jojoba oil? Also not to "appear" dumb but what is Jojoba oil and where do you get it?

thanks guys

Joboba oil is available from Dixie gun works as their synthetic sperm whale oil. It is really close, even to the smell. I have a few ounces of real sperm whale oil left from back in the early sixties! :idunno:

I get my Jojoba oil from a local health food store. The amount of oil to bees wax varies with the temperature, never have measured each amount. Just melt the bees wax in a pan of hot water and add oil, let cool then re-heat if the lube is too stiff and add more oil. Varies if I'm lubing minie's or patches.

quicker and easier and not as exotic.
Plain Beeswax and lard from the grocery store.
Perhaps plain olive oil.

start with an equal mixture of both melted in liquid form.
Blend together let set. test the viscosity for you.
Too thick a dab more lard.
If using for cloth patches, a bit thicker than vaseline would be a good starting point.

Thanks guys. Right now I am getting ready to try some conicals in my ROA. Never shot conicals in er before. This is what i am trying to make the lube for. I have the bees wax and olive oil now so I will probably make up a batch tomorrow. I am guessing the consistency of peanut butter is about what I am looking for right?

If you like lanolin you can find tubes of it in the baby section of any big box store near where the bottles and such are.

Start by mixing small batches...don't try to mix 5 gallons of the stuff. you just have to mix and remix until you get the desired consistency for your application and time of the year.

I mix several small batches of varying consistencies so I have ready made options depending on the circumstance.

A little bit goes a long way.

I use a mixture of bee's wax and liquid Crisco Vegetable Oil, but I can't tell you the ratio. I merely melt the bee's wax down and add the Crisco and allow it to cool and "cake" up again. If the "cake" is too hard, I re-melt it and add a little more Crisco Oil and repeat letting it "cake-up" again.

This "combo" seems to do a good job of lubing my cut-at-the-barrel patches and accuracy is excellent... so I intend to keep using this bee's wax and Crisco Veggie Oil patch lube.

The "cake" should melt fairly easily when held in your warm fingers, but you don't want it so "liquidy" that it is becomes a liquid on a hot summer day.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

colorado clyde said:
beeswax and olive oil
I use olive oil for cooking and I like to buy quality olive oil, but some time the quantity of premium olive that I must purchase goes stale before I can use it for cooking so I use it for patch lube and lamp oil.
:hmm:
Must smell like an Italian restaurant when the power goes out at your house. :haha:

Now you've done it.

You've let the cat out of the bag so I might as well spill the beans.

Ole' colorado clyde didn't want everyone to know about his secret ingredients, garlic and oregano.
:grin:

Back