• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK GUYS, :relax: i'm sorry i ever asked this question. I didn't think it would stir up this much controversy. Why don't we just delete the whole post and all start over as friends again? :RO:

Ok,,I'm sorry too,,
I thought it was a "trick" question.. sorry..

Geez,,

sorry but sumtymes stuff is just plain wrong. i call the kettel black when i see it,, i lack diplomacy,,gosh sorry,,use all the stuff ya want. shoot well,,good luck to ya,,hit the mark,and all that other good stuff

jimminey christmas,,

Tack's apology accepted, although not necessary. Like i already said, not hard feelings against anyone. The question was just that, a question. No hidden agenda. Was just curious. Take care, and stay well.

tacks.
I'm sorry you're sorry. I'm sorry I thought your response was funny. Rude, but FUNNY. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :sorry: :sorry:
Me 'n Reb already know we're sorry. :sorry:

Now the REAL question.
Anyone ever try K-Y jelly as a patch lube? :relax:

Hey if there's gonna be a hassel at least make it over something of substance like the fact that maxiballs and the like are NOT traditional bullets, or how modern adjustable sights have no place in traditional conversations, I can think of a lot better things to argue about ............

lets try Preperation-H. Guarenteed to SHRINK yer groups. :crackup: :crackup:

In the words of Larry the cable guy, "now thats funny and I don't care who you are". :thumbsup:

Sorry, I just had to do that.
Good one Rebel.

I think folks like to experiment with patch lubes because, hey, it's interesting. That's the neat thing about muzzleloading. There is a lot of room to try new things. Myself, I like to try various natural animal fat based lubes.

You need to keep tabs on those natural fats, many contain salt in them...

I know there are many patch lubes out there. I have heard of people mixing dish detergant, somekind of oil and alcohol for a patch lube. Has any one tried it and how does it work? What is the most poular home made patch lube? Thanks any answeres will help.

Come on now, fellas! Let's put this ugliness behind us! It really sounds to me like sumtacks & Maxi thought that Rebel was jokin' around when he asked about Pam as a lube. I've been on the Forum long enough to know that we're ALL bigger than this! I understand Claude's position though. If I were brand new to the Forum, I'd probably be afraid to ask any questions I thought might be in the least bit stupid, after reading sumtacks' and Maxi's original replies! Despite what everybody is saying in their posts, it's obvious there were some hurt feelings over this whole thing. Let's all be grown up about this, and just chalk it up as an unfortunate misunderstanding. We're all brothers and sisters here, and like all siblings there's bound to be the occasional argument or unkind word that's regretted later on. Like I said though, we're ALL bigger than this! Everybody wipe the blood off their noses and shake hands! :thumbsup:

P.S. Make sure ya wipe the blood off on yer pant leg BEFORE ya shake hands! :crackup: :thumbsup:

Musketeer, if you read all of my posts you will see that nothing was taken too personal and there are no hard feelings, or bloody noses either. Things are all settled between us as far as i know. But thanks for Caring. :: ::

I know there are many patch lubes out there. I have heard of people mixing dish detergant, somekind of oil and alcohol for a patch lube. Has any one tried it and how does it work? What is the most poular home made patch lube? Thanks any answeres will help.

Hi matress, Welcome to the forum.
I think the "some kind of oil" you are refering to could be Murphy's Soap Oil. Murphy's is used in a LOT of cleaning /swabing reciepes, and is a "fair to middlin" carrier.
Alcohol is often used with the thought it will help dissipate the water used in cleaning solutions, or help "dry" the patch when used in a lube.
There is a lot of information here on lube, and it is a never ending battle as to who's best, who's worse, what works, and what don't....get into making your own lube, it's adds another dimension to your shooting experience. Before you do, be forwarned there are a lot of old wives tales about the ingredients in homebrewed lube...take it with a grain of salt.
Roundball will tell ya to buy your patches pre-lubed, pre-sized, and pre-cut....he is a pretty smart feller, sometimes.
Russ

Mattress,

Welcome.

Click on the following links and page up to the beginnings to go back into our archives. Or, you can search on "lube." Lots of reading and ground work here.

Lube Wars #1

Lube War - Phase Two

The End - Lube Wars

Lube Wars - The Summary

Olive Oil and Castor Oil both work as lube oils. Murphy's Oil Soap helps with emulsifying the mix and clean up afterwards. The fun part is most rifles are unique in what they will shoot best with, so try a bunch, test a lot and find the one that works for you.

I've settled on a good grease mix (my Moose Snot) and a liquid lube (moose milk that I also apply to cotton tic and allow to dry) for various applications. Both of these use castor oil, which is alcohol soluable and easy to clean out without build-up. Read on and enjoy.

I thought I would share this information for you reenactors, trekkers and era correct traditionalists. In the book Creek Country it mentions an oil made by the Creek Indians. Now these are eye wittness accounts. The indians loved to use bear oil for cooking and many other things. When bears were scarce the women would gather hickory nuts. They were cracked,it was not nessesary to remove the hull just crack them. The nuts were placed in a large pot and boiled in water. The pure oil would rise to the top to be skimmed off. This was their favorite oil. But it was seasonal and very labor intensive. They could deep fry in it and prefered it over bear oil. The book also mentions the nutfalls under those Hickorys being several inches deep.(great southern forrests of the 1790s) It might be a real challenge to attempt to gather and make this stuff in this day and time.

I've had excellent results with 60% beeswax 40% castor oil and a couple of drops of dishwashing detergent. I put the whole mess in a small soup bowl and nuked it till it liquified.

I stirred it up a bit and than put my precut patches into a small ziplock bag. I poured the liquid into the bag with the patches, kneeded the bag a bit (using oven mits) and took the patches out 1 by 1 with a tweezers and layed them out in lines on paper towels.

When the greased patches set (it only took a few minutes) I wrapped them by folding the paper towel over them row by row for storage.

The stuff don't burn and I'm shooting 60 grains of 777 with only the patch between the powder and the .049" ball out of a Mountain Stalker. It's dead on up to 70 Yds. and acceptable for hunting at 100 Yds. :results:

Ok how about another question? I see alot of talk about bear and mutton fat, what about deer fat? I hope to have one in a few weeks :: and I know deer tallow is very waxy.

I never thought of mutton fat, but now that you bring it up has anybody tried straight lanolin? :hmm:

I use mutton tallow (rendered fat) regularly. Mixing it with beeswax is a classic patch lubricant. In fact, Dixie Gun Works sells just that as "Ol Zip Patch Grease."
It's wonderful stuff.
My favorite lubricant recipe is one I found in a 1943 American Rifleman magazine. It was given as the factory original lubricant for outside-lubricated ammunition such as the .22 rimfire and .32, .38 and .41 Long and Short Colt. This was with heeled bullets.
I have a Marlin Model 1892 rifle that uses .32 Short and Long Colt ammunition. I reload for it, using heeled bullets. So I made some of the old-time lubricant. Good stuff!
Then I started using it for other black powder applications. It's wonderful!

The recipe is:
1 part mutton tallow (sold by Dixie Gun Works)
1 part canning paraffin
1/2 part beeswax
All measurements are by weight, not volume.

This lubricant is particularly good soaked into felt wads, which are used between the ball and powder in cap and ball sixguns. The paraffin stiffens the wad somewhat, making it a more effective fouling scraper.

Mutton tallow has long been used as a bullet and patch lubricant, probably back as far as patches were first used in firearms. It's good stuff as it's slicker than other tallows I've tried.
I haven't tried bear grease but more than one shooter has told me that mutton tallow exceeds it.
Anyway, the above is a 19th century recipe. If nothing else, it's interesting to use what the old timers had.

Hi all, thanks for the info so far but for all us new guys, a few questions. I have never rendered fat, how is it done? I hope to get a deer in the next few weeks and was wondering if deer fat can be used. Has anybody tried it and how well did it work?

Back