• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it does. Castor oil (Latin for "Beaver") and JoJoba oil are the only two vegetable oils that share certain polar acids and properties with animal oils. But castor never spoils or turns rancid and is non-drying. It also suspends in alcohol.

Also, I used castor oil as a lubricant in methanol engines (and the Air Force uses it in rorary and jet engines & turbines) because it retains lubricity at high temperatures and pressures. I was cleaning oil off a model one day and thought "now why not use castor oil as a lube?" That started down a path that took a couple years of futzing and putzing and eventually lead to my lube mixes.

I did rust tests before & after flashing steel plates with blackpowder and a bunch of mixing and shooting.

They protect the bore (or at least do not add to the harm), they seem to be accurate, and they are made up of compounds available in the Colonies from the earliest days.

Klondike said:
Who makes there own?

I use some made of bees wax and peanut oil
1 part beeswax
3 parts peanut oil
Melt together then pour into tins of you choice let them harden and away you go.
+1 That is exactly what I use and I have no complaints whatsoever.

Pacobillie said:
Klondike said:
Who makes there own?

I use some made of bees wax and peanut oil
1 part beeswax
3 parts peanut oil
Melt together then pour into tins of you choice let them harden and away you go.
+1 That is exactly what I use and I have no complaints whatsoever.

I know you gave me the recipe when i bought the 50 cal by the way it shoots great

My question is: As this mixture cools, don't the various ingredients separate so that the final product is not really consistent?

Has anyone tried turtle oil?

Years ago (70's) my brothers and I butchered a snapping turtle. We melted down the fat and put it into a Mason jar. When it cooled it stayed liquid. It was still liquid a few years later when we checked it - in an unheated shed at -22F. We saved it because it was good oil and would be really useful for something. We never figured out what. :idunno:

That turtle made some of the best chicken soup I ever ate! :grin:

John

I keep thinking that when it is raccoon season I want to catch a nice fat one and render down all of that fat into oil and try it as a patch lube. For now I will stick with moose snot and moose juice with the recipes given by stumpkiller..............watch yer top knot.............

Jaeger62 said:
Has anyone tried turtle oil?

tried it, but it loaded mighty sloooowww.
doh2.gif

Buford said:
I keep thinking that when it is raccoon season I want to catch a nice fat one and render down all of that fat into oil and try it as a patch lube. For now I will stick with moose snot and moose juice with the recipes given by stumpkiller..............watch yer top knot.............
Some people say Raccoon oil/grease is as good or better than bear....

Am curious if anybody is using the Dutch Schoultz lube. (water soluble oil and water) He also has a Moose Milk recipe.

Stumpy's moose juice recipe is often mentioned as being used as a dried patch lube somewhat like the water soluble oils. The moose juice works great as a dried patch lube when I have used it at the range...............watch yer top knot..................

TexiKan said:
Am curious if anybody is using the Dutch Schoultz lube. (water soluble oil and water) He also has a Moose Milk recipe.

I have tried with good results. But, not enough to give a proper review. Next batch.... :shocked2:
Must not have been completely dry when I sealed the bag. Plus, I'm not sure my wso was the real thing. It was something from NAPA.
greenpatch.jpg
[/img]

Wow. Look at that! Yes, my guess is that it may not have been completely dry.

I have a couple of good shooting friends who use the WSO mix and swear by it. Like you, I was able to find some WSO at NAPA. I have not tried the mix, yet. I also mixed up some of the Moose Milk and will give it a try, too.

Back