• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Lubrication PROCESS ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trdixon1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am curious about other individual’s process they use for lubricating PRE-CUT patches using ballistol. I have used a 7 to 1 mix of water and ballistol. I use a shot glass to do the measuring. Then I rolled the shot glass over the top of the patches to get the excess out. The other night two batches the first one I let sit for about 15 ”“ 20 minutes and then I decided I need more so I mix another batch of ballistol and water and then came up with the idea of rolling the shot glass over them to make things as even as possible. The first batch ended up good but the second batch is dry and has little to no oil in/on them.

How do you guys do it?

After experimenting with various ratios, I settled on 1 to 6 as the one that my rifle likes best. I mix up a pint jar of ballistol and water in this ratio, shake well, drop in a bunch of patches and shake again. I then fish the patches out with a perforated spoon. I let them drip a couple of minutes, but do not try to remove any excess liquid. Then I spread the patches out on a non-porous surface (glass or formica), and let the water evaporate overnight. That leaves a patch with just the right amount of oil, though it appears to be almost dry. I seal the patches in a plastic bottle to keep the oil from evaporating over a longer period of time.

BTW, I was astounded at how much difference the ratio of water to ballistol makes on the accuracy. I used ratios of 2 to 1 all the way up to 9 to one. Groups got smaller up to 6, then started spreading again. This will no doubt vary from one rifle to another.

That's the trick, leaving the mix in the cloth so the water evap's. Guy's will try this method,,sqeeze too much out,,and it doesn't work because they didn't leave any on the patch!

I do mine in strip's lay'm flat on non porus and let'm dry.

I could see where you might have trouble with pre-cut's, ya gotta figure out some way to get'm flat and keep the mix on'm :hmm:
How about a long neck bottle instead of the shot glass, kinda like a rollin pin,,ya see wood don't work,,it'd suck up some of the mix an not be even ???

I cut my patching in a strip, about 10' in length and 1 1/2" in width and lay them on a cookie sheet and dry them in the oven on VERY low warming temp to get the moisture out. This gives me even oil saturation.

HH 60

I also cut my patches into strips, lube them and let them air dry. No squeezing! After they are dry, I put them into 35mm film canisters for storage. I have also found that between 7:1 and 6:1 to be the best.

I agree. I mix a 7 to 1 ration with a shot glass. Cut strips, soak em in the mix and then lay em out (without any squeezing) on a plastic tray and let em dry overnight. Next day I roll em up and store em in 35 mm film cans. Your local drug store film processor will gladly let you have all the cans you want.

Back