• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patch: pre-cut or strip?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Cline

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Using same ball wt. and powder charge and not counting the convenience of using a pre-cut patch I am wondering about accuracy comparison to using strip and patch knife. Any load development information, for accuracy, comparing using pre-cut patches or using patch strip?
Has anyone experimented, using pre-cut patches, to determine how off center the ball can be placed before accuracy is affected?
Thanks,
Handloader

Precut patches will loose accuracy if you can not see at least 1/16 patch all around the ball. While the patch actually holds only at the center of the ball you need several threads past the center to assure the cloth doesn't pull apart.You do not need the patch to extend above the ball but you need enough to assure the patch doesn't pull apart. I use precut patches simply because I am a clutz and kept cutting myself with the patch knife ( which nmust be kept SHARP ). I find the use of a loading block very helpful if the patch is in offcenter, you can just push it through and recenter it! I have never had any trouble with the patch going off center from the block to the gun.

IMHO the patch being a bit off center will affect the shot placement very neglishable (if at all) as long as their is sufficient material to cover the ball where it meets the rifling. After all the patch falls away as soon as the ball leaves the muzzle and has absolutely no other effect on it's flight.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

No difference between cut at the muzzle, precut - round or square - with the same material. I use precuts that I cut myself for convenience. Just make sure the precut is large enough to fit pretty much as Ohio says.

I do cut at the muzzle sometimes when working up a load and trying to determine what patching is best. It's just easier than cutting a bunch of patches of different thicknesses just for working up a load.

Back