• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patch puller

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TARGUY

32 Cal.
Reaction score
recieved 2 patch pullers today (along with other things)from muzzleloader builder supply. Sue said 1 size fits all. I wanted them for my 32 cal. they are to tight. they jam up right were the pigtail wraps around the brass. does anybody make a different type that works!!

Use a regular rifle bore brush of a size smaller than the caliber you're dealing with.
For example, in your .32cal, use a .22cal bore brush, slide it down, twist it so the bristles grab the cloth, and slide it right out.

Make sure if you ever use a bore brush in a muzzleloader that it is the kind where the wire is threaded through a hole in the thread base and then wound with the bristles and not the cheaper kind that is wound, cut in sections, and then just jammed into the base. The latter kind can pull out and remain stuck in the bore. Only way to get it out is pull the breechplug and push it back out. I learned this the hard way.

Actually there's another way...buy a piece of thin walled tubing at a hardware store that will just fit inside the bore, slide it all the way down around the brush, the brush becomes captured inside the tubing, and remove the tubing

If Your using the brush as a patch puller and theres a patchin the breech,You can pull the nipple and work a little powder into the chanel replace the nipple and fire it out,Don't know if it works on flinters, but will do it for cap locks.Sometimes the patch/brush will only go part way out the bore the first shot,pull the nipple again and now work-in about 10 grs.of powder reseat the patch/brush back to the breech and fire it again this has always worked for me.I use the same basic proceedure for dryballing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifGordy

Rich,.... You can make a good "patch puller" out of a worn bore-brush. All ya need to do is cut the bore-brush in half then un-wind the two stiff wires enough to remove the bristles. The two-fingers of stiff wire will grab a patch real well, jest screw the modified brush into yore ramrod, run'er down the bore, and turn the ramrod a couple'a turns then pull the patch out!! :winking:

Back