• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was shooting my .54 Kibler Woodsrunner yesterday and managed to find a couple of patches, do these look burned? The target is at 50 yards and the three on the upper left were my last three. It seems to be shooting OK, but my patches look burned up. Using .530 rb, 70gr FFFG Swiss, and a .018 wonderlubed patch. Would an over powder wad help?

Attachments

• IMG_1415.jpeg
    IMG_1415.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1414.jpeg
    IMG_1414.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1413.jpeg
    IMG_1413.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I can't tell if they're burned or torn up. How smooth does the barrel feel when you load it? Some barrels need a lot of shooting to smooth them out or they can be lapped with some green Scotch Brite wrapped on an undersized bronze brush. You shouldn't need an over powder wad if the patch/ball combination is right and the barrel is smooth. As Grimord mentions, try some FF powder. My 54 likes 80 grains FF for a hunting load and 40 grains for short range targets. When you're patch hunting with a new barrel it helps a lot to dye them bright red with some Rit dye.

I'm not that educated as most on here when it comes to problem solving but I was having problems with blown out patches for one of my rifles, 45 caliber T/C Cherokee. I decreased the powder amount and used a OPW and the groups I got were great. On the other hand, with Lyman trade rifle I got better groups just by going to a thicker patch and not using An OPW. It's mostly about trial and error to see what your Kibler likes the most.

No they don't look burned. They are exhibiting a carbo ring on the outside which may indicate a loose load. A tighter load combination or the addition of a wad under the patched ball will mitigate that. It also looks like maybe the patch is getting cut at loading. Could be from a new barrel, maybe needs to be crowned.

I have found that pre-lubed patches are often aged and reliable. Try using mattress ticking and lubricate them shortly before shooting or use Spit lube, Also cut at the muzzle assures a perfect patch fit.

No they don't look burned. They are exhibiting a carbo ring on the outside which may indicate a loose load. A tighter load combination or the addition of a wad under the patched ball will mitigate that. It also looks like maybe the patch is getting cut at loading. Could be from a new barrel, maybe needs to be crowned.
I agree. I'd start by polishing the counter sink at the muzzle. If sharp the patch fibers get cut at loading.

Polish the muzzle crown using your thumb and sandpaper. That will stop them from being cut when prb is seated. I'd also think about getting some thicker material and not rely on prelubed patches. I find a .490" ball and a .024" canvas patch loads snug yet easy and wiping of the bore isn't necessary.

I was shooting my .54 Kibler Woodsrunner yesterday and managed to find a couple of patches, do these look burned? The target is at 50 yards and the three on the upper left were my last three. It seems to be shooting OK, but my patches look burned up. Using .530 rb, 70gr FFFG Swiss, and a .018 wonderlubed patch. Would an over powder wad help?
Try a tighter patched ball! I shoot a .54 rifle using 80 grains of powder and no burned out patches. I am surprised you are getting the accuracy you show? If it doesn't work do what does?

On my Kibler .54 Woodsrunner I had to go to .535 roundballs with .018 patches with 80 grains of Swiss 3fg powder to keep the patches from burning.

I can't tell if they're burned or torn up. How smooth does the barrel feel when you load it? Some barrels need a lot of shooting to smooth them out or they can be lapped with some green Scotch Brite wrapped on an undersized bronze brush. You shouldn't need an over powder wad if the patch/ball combination is right and the barrel is smooth. As Grimord mentions, try some FF powder. My 54 likes 80 grains FF for a hunting load and 40 grains for short range targets. When you're patch hunting with a new barrel it helps a lot to dye them bright red with some Rit dye.

Fine idea, never thought of that.

your patches are a little ragged from loading, not burned up. do what hanshi said, take your thumb with light pressure to around 320 grit and polish the entrance of the muzzle, that should help, a tighter patch wont. i soak my pillow ticking with 40% dish soap and 60% water. you use that lube, and you will never swab between anything but your toes when you take a bath on Saturday night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Latest posts

Back