• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch size for .480 Ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a .480 PRB in my nominal .50 cal Colerain barrel - it is very good shooting and way easier to load than a .490 (if the barrel is fouled better have a mallet and steel rod to get it down) but then again my barrel is .495

armakiller said:
17 months later for a reply? :shocked2: . We need some pictures of the rifle!. Btw, 12L14 is just fine for muzzleloader barrels and don't let anyone tell you different :thumbsup: .

Sorry, not sure what you are talking about. What is a 12L14 for muzzleloading barrels? I'm still pretty green with these acronyms”¦.
Inquiring minds wants to know”¦.
Thanks”¦see ya yardhunter

KHickam said:
I use a .480 PRB in my nominal .50 cal Colerain barrel - it is very good shooting and way easier to load than a .490 (if the barrel is fouled better have a mallet and steel rod to get it down) but then again my barrel is .495

I was thinking along your lines too..”¦..ease of loading”¦
I plan on filming some "tough girl" youtube videos soon”¦.something I think my daughter will love to do. She will be using shotguns, percussions & of course flintlocks. I bought a flinter just after Christmas & due to the cold weather around here...haven't been able to shoot it yet!

Then”¦.
I read this thread & said”¦Whoa, can I use .480 balls or not?

Since my percussion is a 50 cal..that's what I wanted for a flinter also. Less stuff to keep up with.

Thanks for your responses”¦I can now look around & order some .480 balls for my daughter to use...”¦”¦.see ya yard hunter

12L14 is the kind of steel. the L stands for "leaded" it has some lead in it which helps with the machining of the barrel for breech plugs and shaping of swamped barrels and its easier to file dove tails and slots for tennons than say 8020? 8120? or 1137 which is what Green Mountain barrels are made of.

galamb said:
yardhunter said:
Then”¦.
I read this thread & said”¦Whoa, can I use .480 balls or not?
I don't understand why somehow fabric wrapping a .480" round ball would be some major "no no".

I see your point there my friend”¦”¦”¦

Thanks everyone for the tips & advice. I'm ordering a box of .480's tomorrow ”¦”¦”¦”¦...see ya yardhunter

Back