• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patch suggestions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyrtep8891

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion for a patch thickness of .005. I need one. :hmm: Thanks in advance y'uns!

polesmith said:
Anyone have a suggestion for a patch thickness of .005. I need one.

Years ago I ordered a bag of .005" and .010" Oxyoke patches to have on hand so I could add & mix patches with other patches to experiment with different overall patch thicknesses...think I ordered them from Track of the Wolf

I can't help with the patches, but did notice you're in Leicester. So am I. Do you know a good place to shoot near here?

polesmith said:
Anyone have a suggestion for a patch thickness of .005. I need one. :hmm: Thanks in advance y'uns!

Check Midway USA. You may also try a local fabric store.

Greetings,
Are you familiar with "French Broad Rifles"? They are a muzzle loader club that shoots 2nd and 4th saturdays every month. They are associated with NMLRA. THeir shooting place is a couples miles from where I'm at as the crow flies. Are you interested? :thumbsup:

I'm not familiar, but interested. I called one of the members and left my name. I'm about a mile from the fire hall in Leicester, to give you some idea, on the Alexander side. If this is the club off of Piney Grove Rd, it is only a few miles from my house. :eek:ff

Have you done any hunting on the Sandy Mush game lands near us?

polesmith said:

Take your micrometer to Wal-Mart. Look for a strong, tightly woven, pure cotton, cloth that looks like it might work. Measure. Ignore the funny looks from clerks and shoppers. :) Check all they have that might be usable for you. Years ago 'airplane cloth' was popular and much sought after. It is the fabric used when restoring antique aircraft. Very thin and incredibly tough. It was a great thin patch for shallow groove rifles.

You want a tight woven Muslin. Basically the stuff sheets are made of.The higher thread count the better.

Back