• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patches? We Don' Need No Steenkin Patches . . .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Swartz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry; couldn't resist!

Anyhow

Have searched the forum a bit to find an updated recommendation(s) for sources of patches and haven't found what I was looking for.

I need a source of high-quality patches in various thicknesses; mainly looking at .36 caliber in 0.005" - 0.018" or so with high threadcount, unlubed.

My standard sources of shooting stuff (Dixie Gun Works, Midway, etc. etc. mail order "big guys") seem to cater to the more popular calibers and thicknesses. (not a surprise)

Any recommendations for me?

I would prefer to not buy a punch and roll my own at this point . . .

aTdHvAaNnKcSe
Steve in North Texas

some bed sheets that are 180 to 210 thread count are 100% cotton....that's alot of patches fer yer .36 :v .............bob

Deep Tens said:
I need a source of high-quality patches in various thicknesses; mainly looking at .36 caliber in 0.005" - 0.018" or so with high threadcount, unlubed.

My standard sources of shooting stuff (Dixie Gun Works, Midway, etc. etc. mail order "big guys") seem to cater to the more popular calibers and thicknesses. (not a surprise)

Any recommendations for me?

That's all they carry becasue they can sell more for the larger bores.

Try patching for larger calibers. Patches for a 40-45 should work. Just make sure you center the ball on the patch. Overly large patches can be cut at the muzzle.

Deep Tens said:
I would prefer to not buy a punch and roll my own at this point

That might be your only option if your gun likes an odd thickness of fabric.

TOW sells dry patches for .36 cal (.30-.39 cal) I use them for my .36. Thickness is .010 to .018.

RMC also sells .005 thickness patches.

A trip to your local fabric shop with a micrometer or clipers should put you in business and square cut patches will likely do as well as round ones, I have not been able to tell the difference.

Sir Michael:

Not familiar with "TOW" or "RMC" and Google comes up with thousands of hits, totally unrelated to patches . . .

?

(really need 0.007" patches)

Steve in North Texas

I don't know that you have to have perfectly round patches to shoot accurately. I have been beaten regularly in shooting matches by guys that stuff an entire square patch down the muzzle. Just cut a bed sheet up with scissors into the right sized squares.

Many Klatch

Square patches the only way to go. I'll never buy a round patch again. I use my wife's fabric rotary blade cutter and go to town! Give it a try you'll never look back.

All:

Thanks for the advice and information!!!!

Jeeze I started off with BP a while back with everything "Off The Shelf" and now own a metallurgical factory, melt my own beeswax/mutton tallow, have a hand-made custom ramrod, learned how to use a set of precision files, etc. etc.

and now have decided that making my own patches is a great idea!

Now if that "Bat House" attracts enough flying mammals and I can find a reliable source of sulfur . . .

(p.s. anyone know the formula for priming compound?)

Steve in North Texas

I don't think that we're allowed to discuss formulas or how to build powder, etc.

That info is available elsewhere :winking: .

Have fun in the hobby :) .

Dave

I found great 100% cotton material at a fabric shop called JoAnn's. They are a chain store so there should be one near you. My wife helped me with the selection and she indicated the thread count was 350. Very tight! I have used about one half yard and that made about 400 patches for a .40 cal. The cost was $4.50 a yard. Cheap!

Steve,
I will just say I really like to deal with the folks at RMC and ox-yoke products which RMC
currently owns. Patches from .005 to .020.
snake-eyes:hmm:

Bob,
Your honey don't mind you taking her bed sheets????
Mine would not be a honey if I did :rotf: :rotf:
snake-eyes:hmm:

I have been using pillow ticking from Walmart for years. I tear off a strip about 1 1/2 wide, lube up a couple-6 inches at a time and cut it with my patch knife after I start the ball. Or I cut them into 1 1/4 in squares. I shoot .36 and .32 with these patches. Squirrels are not fond of them.

Merdean

Back